Forth

The next day, I met the Med boys in the canteen during my break. But Kit was missing. I heard that he was off to his hometown for a break. I nodded my head but didn't say anything else.

Like what Kit said, maybe just meeting a few times didn't mean we were friends. But to me, I know I treated him as such and slightly more. So it ached when he dismissed me like that. It didn't pay to be nice.

As much as I missed him, I decided not ti step into his life anymore. Sotus and my classes kept me busy. Plus my dirt bike riding kept me occupied during the weekends.

Time flew like that. It was slightly over 2 weeks later when I bumped into Kit at the fried chicken place. I had gone there on a Saturday night, for a quick dinner before heading to the bar to meet the boys.

I saw him sitting by himself at a table, having some chicken and beer. I was in half a mind to go and join him but I held myself back. Rather I just turned and left, choosing to go eat elsewhere.

I reached the bar around 9.30pm and saw the boys. But lo behold, I met Kit there too. He was with us. I guessed the boys had invited him. He saw me but didn't acknowledge except with a nod. I just responded the same and sat down with Lam and Park. We were chatting away until Posh and Wai joined us and then Park disappeared with Wai. I chuckled at this two.

I was drinking away when these bunch of juniors from the Science department joined us. One girl was being particularly flirtatious towards me. I smiled and beckoned her to join me. She sat next to me and leaned into me. I slung my arm carelessly over her and we were drinking and chatting away.

I turned occasionally and glanced in Kit's direction who kept throwing glances at me too. But Kit turned away when he caught me looking at him. A little while later, the junior's friend approached Kit.

I watched from my side eye as Kit smiled at her but didn't invite her further but she self invited herself and sat down with him. Beam cast her a look of distaste while Pha shushed him. Kit just looked uncomfortable but he didn't say anything. We kept on drinking and that girl became more handsy with Kit over time. I could see he was very uncomfortable. I signalled Beam and Pha to rescue him but they pretended like they couldn't understand me. Fuckers.

I knew Kit didn't want to flip her off but seeing the way his ears were turning red and the way his hands were clenched, he was losing it. But he tried to hold himself. I saw red when the girl leaned in to nuzzle his neck. I stood up abruptly and went over. I grabbed Kit by his wrist, softly apologising for being rough and pulled him behind me. The girl was stunned and stood up too. I leaned in to her and softly told her to fuck off before I lost it. She was taken aback by my words and stepped back.

The boys all watched in silence but no one said anything. I turned around to Kit who just looked at me stunned.

"Next time, don't hesitate to tell her off. Just be honest. Don't have to be nice at the expense of your own happiness. Be yourself. You are best when you are yourself."

I then left. I was quite done with the night. I decided to go get a smoke before heading home. I was puffing away when Lam came out.

"You ok?"

I nodded.

"That was quite a scene."

"I'm sorry.. "

"Don't be. I know you aren't."

I chuckled. Just then Kit came out. Lam saw him, snickered at me and left. He nodded at Kit who responded in kind before going back in. Kit walked towards me. I stubbed out my cigarette.

"Thank you for earlier.."

"No problem. Happy to help a fri.. i mean Beam's friend."

Kit nodded hesitantly.

"I be going. Take care. See you around."

I turned around when Kit held onto my hand. I turned back to him.

"Could I get a ride back if it's ok?"

I nodded and he climbed on.  It was a quiet journey home but it didn't feel awkward. I kept glancing in my rear view mirror at Kit's face as we rode back home. Finally about half hour later, we got home. We both got off the bike and Kit turned to look at me. He smiled hesitantly. I just nodded and took my leave.

This time though, Kit let me go. But he waited as I rode off. I could see him all the way as I rode the roundabout and left.