𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

[ CHAPTER FIVE: Awkward Interactions ]

"JUST AS WE WILL START PROJECTS TOMORROW WITH YOUR ASSIGNED PARTNERS, I do hope you guys get along with them and can keep these partners for the rest of the year." Mr. Ramirez smiled before turning towards the chalkboard.

Adrianna looked down at her feet, moving her shoes around and around to stop being bored in this moment, "Pst!" She heard, she looked up to see Miguel looking directly at her, 'Meet me in the library at lunch!' He mouthed to her. She nodded before fiddling with her bracelets on her left wrist.

____

Once Adrianna made it to the library, she sat on a chair, looking around for any signs of Miguel. "Hey Adrianna," Ms. Robinson welcomed the girl with a soft smile, Adrianna gave a smile back, "Hi."

"Are you studying again?" She asks, "No, I'm waiting for a boy." Adrianna corrected, as Ms. Robinson's face changes into shock and a smirk, Adrianna realizes what she made it seem like.

"No! Not in that way, I promise." Adrianna laughs, Ms. Robinson laughed before giving her a look and walking to the front. Adrianna picked at her skin, trying to distract herself.

"Hey," The familiar voice said, Adrianna looked up and gave a small smile. "Hi," she watches him sit across from her. "So..." Adrianna tries to start conversation.

"Uhm... so... I was wondering if we could start the tutoring," Miguel queried, Adrianna smiled, "Of course." She nodded, "We can go to my house after school." Miguel suggested, "Uh— sure, I'll ask my mom, but I'll let you know."

Miguel nodded with a smile before saying goodbye and walking off, Adrianna got up, walking towards the back of the library, grabbing any book that had interested her.

_____

"Bye Jacob," Adrianna waved as she opened the door and got out of the car, "Call me if you need anything, Adrian." He said with a stern tone before driving off.

Adrianna rolled her eyes as she walked up the drive way, making her way to the front door, ringing the door bell as she stared down at the 'Welcome!' doormat. The door swung open, "Oh hey," Miguel opened the door wider to let her in.

"Hi," she smiled a bit before walking in, "We can— uh— go to my room." Miguel informed, the awkwardness filling in the air. "Yeah," Adrianna agreed, silently hoping that she never agreed to this, not because she didn't like him, but because this was really fucking awkward, even for her, the most awkward person to exist.

The two made their way to his room, Adrianna looked around at the surprisingly, clean room, "Well, we could sit here." Miguel awkwardly said.

This was going to be a long tutoring.

_____

"... and now that we've transferred 26, we now get the total." Adrianna explained, Miguel looked down, his eyebrows furrowed. She stared down at the boy, him slowly looking up, "You don't get it?" Adrianna asks, already knowing the answer to that.

He slowly nodded, the two looking at each other before lightly chuckling. "That's fine, we can restart." Adrianna smiled. "I feel really stupid right now." Miguel admitted as he sighed.

"Don't be, you'll learn. I promise." Adrianna nods as she grabbed her math notebook to look for more examples. "I mean, how do you get all this stuff, you're like— the smartest girl, like ever." Miguel laughed to himself. "I just, I don't know. I study, like all the time." Adrianna shrugged as if it was nothing.

"I think it's just that, I don't have a lot of friends, I mean shit, I have one friend, and I hardly do anything, so I just study to fill in the gaps." Adrianna concluded. He nodded in response.

"But, I know that you, Miguel, are a very social person," Adrianna smiled to herself, "And I'm willing to teach you the basics, in order to know everything but still have time with your peers."

"You sound like a teacher." Miguel joked, making Adrianna laugh lightly. In true, brutal honesty, Adrianna hardly ever laughed. The only times she laughed were with Dahlia, or when her dad made horrible jokes, or when she felt at least a little hint of comfort in her body.

That's the thing, she felt a little hint of comfort in an instant with Miguel, even though she had hardly spent any time with him.

______

a/n: hi guys 🤭