Chapter 16

-Free?-

"Everybody, This way!" Thomas's voice echoed along the walls of the maze as he led the group, me, (y/n) and Teresa not far behind.. Me and (y/n) slowly shifted to the back as we noticed some were lagging behind.

⋯☾❀☽⋯

"Keep it up guys, we're almost there!" The occasional words of encouragement from Thomas kept the group going. "Common buddy." I placed a hand behind Aziel's back, pushing him slightly forward as he was slowing down. "If it's too much just say it okay? I can carry you." I offered but Aziel only shook his head as he continued on.

⋯☾❀☽⋯

We eventually arrived back at the entrance concrete walkway. Leaning against the wall, Thomas cautiously peeked into the walkway. "Is it a Griever?" Chuck asks as Thomas looks back to the group, "Yeah." Thomas only muttered under his breath, nervously readjusting his grip in his spear, "Shit." Murmurs started going around in the group.

"You two take this, Watch each other's backs and stay behind us." I handed Aziel the device as he gave me a determined nod. "It's okay. Just stick with me." Teresa reassured the two boys. "Keep them safe." (y/n) gave Teresa a thankful nod as she clipped her hair away from her face.

"Once we're through, It'll activate and the door will open. We stay close, we stick together. We get through this. We get out now, or we die trying." Thomas gave us a quick rundown of the plan and final words of encouragement to the group before slamming his spear to the ground. "Ready?" We all readied our weapons.

"Alright. Let's go!" With that final call, we all charged into the walkway. Those with spears were in front, slowing the Griever's charge towards us. "Push it!" We all jabbed our spears, hoping to get some distance. "Duck!" I could hear (y/n) call out as the Griever swung its tail at us. "Look out!" We were too late as the Griever got one of the Gladers and threw him off the ledge.

"The key!" I could fairly hear one of the kids yell out over the group. "Chuck! Watch the edge!" making a bad choice, i decided to look back and see Chuck with half his body hanging over the edge. "Minho1" (y/n) snapped me back into the fight as we continuously stabbed the Griever. I just hope Aziel and Tereasa were quick enough to help him.

We eventually were able to push the Griever off the edge. "Thomas, Thomas!." "Dad!!" Chuck and Aziel respectively called out as they bolted straight for us with Teresa behind. "Aziel?" could hear (y/n) let a breath of disbelief, seeing the horde of Grievers chasing them. "We got more coming!" We all quickly ran in front with our spears, blocking the Grievers from Teresa and the kids, "Keep it steady guys!" I mentally pray for Teresa and the kids to get the door open.

We were all yelling commands but with a common goal of getting the Grievers as far from us as possible. The Grievers were pushing us back into the hallway, if those three don't get the door open, we're screwed. The Grievers unfortunately got another Glader, stabbing him with its stinger before throwing them behind.

"Hey, Minho, (y/n)! What's the sequence?" Thomas suddenly asks, breaking me out of my focus on the Grievers. "What?" i ask back, stabbing the Griever. "The sections of the maze, what's the sequence?" Thomas clarified his question.

"7! 1! 5! Uh.." I started yelling the numbers, hoping the three behind could hear me over the screeching Grievers. "6! 4!" (y/n) managed to continue for me but wasn't able to continue further as a Griever suddenly dropped down on me. "Minho!"

I had my spear in its mouth, preventing it from chomping my head off. "Get off of me!" I grunted, trying to push the Griever away from me. Jeff lunges forward, stabbing his spear through the Griever's head. Consequently however, Jeff was taken away by it. I quickly got up and fended off the Grievers with the other Gladers. "What's the sequence? Come on!" Chuck reminded us. "6! 4! 3! You got it?" I continued off from (y/n), now stuck in the small circular tunnel pushing grievers away with our spears.