Chapter 3: Others

-Others-

After all the tests, we were led to a canteen area. There were pre-prepared trays of food and water. Taking a tray for me and Aziel, the group took a seat at an empty table. "Mind if we sit here?" Three guys approached us, gesturing to the empty seats. "No, not at all." Newt allowed. While eating, the guys introduced themselves, and we got to the topic on how we all got there. Apparently there were more mazes than just ours.

I heard the doors of the canteen open. Turning around, I saw (y/n) and Thomas had just entered the room. "(y/n)! Thomas!" Excitedly getting out of my seat to meet (y/n). "Hey, what's going on?" (y/n) asks as I stop right in front of her. "We weren't the only Maze." I told them, grabbing (y/n)'s hand and beckoning them to our table.

We only managed to catch the end of the guy's story as we went back to the table. Aziel immediately scooted closer to (y/n)'s left when she sat down. I followed after, seating down on her right. "They pulled us off the maze and brought us here." the guy in the middle summarised. "What about the rest? The other people left behind in the Maze, what happened to them?" Newt asks. "I don't know. I guess Wicked still has them." the guy only shrugs.

"How long you guys been here?" Newt broke the short awkward silence. "Not long, just a day or two. That kid over there. He's been here the longest. Almost one week." We followed the guy's gaze to see a boy in a grey striped sleeve hoodie with his hood up all alone at a table. "His maze is nothing but girls." One of the guys added. "Really?" I turned back to him.

I could see Aziel's glare past (y/n) but I ignored it, "Maybe you were put in our maze by accident." I leaned an arm on the table to get a better look at her. "Maybe." her bit her bottom lip in thought. "But I'm glad for that accident." I smirked, leaning in to her. "Good evening, gentlemen. Ladies." Janson interrupted before anything could happen. (y/n) turned towards him, allowing me to give the Ratman a scowl without her noticing.

"You all know how this works. If you heard your name called. Please rise in an orderly fashion and join my colleagues behind me where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about to begin." Excited murmurs went round the room as Janson, or whom i'm now calling Ratman, opened his clipboard.

"Connor."
"Adeline."
"Justin."
"Peter."
"Alison"

Random people from various tables were getting up, some giving their friends highfives while others were wishing their friends goodbye. We were only looking at everyone confused. After 8 people were called, Ratman slammed his clipboard cover shut. Groans of disappointment spread in the room, "Now, now. Don't get discouraged. If I could take more, I would. There's always tomorrow. Your time will come. Go on, eat up." applause rang in the canteen as Ratman left the room with the people.

"Where are they going?" I asked one of the guys. "Far from here. Lucky bastards." The guy who answered turns back to us, crossing his arms on the table. "Some kind of farm. A safe place. They can only take in a couple people at a time." Another guy further explained.

I felt a hand snake into mine. "I don't like this." (y/n) whispered to me. "What do you mean?" I whispered back. "Why take specific people? If they are going to send us all to a safe place, why hasn't he left yet?" (y/n) gestures back to the lone boy in the grey hoodie. "Maybe, but even so, it's best to stay here for the time being. Until we can find a safe way out." I give her hand a squeeze, leaning in once more.

"What the hell? Hey, Teresa?" Thomas got out of his seat and called out. I purse my lips, turning to see Thomas following Teresa who was on the other side of the wall being guided by doctors. Thomas tried to leave only to get stopped by the guards. I couldn't hear what they were talking about but it was obvious Thomas was itching to check up on her, nevertheless, he let it go.