Chapter 2: Who are you?

-Who are you?-

I was led into a room by the guard. A plain grey room with a table and two chairs opposite each other. The only light above the table brought the room an omnibus glow. "Take a seat." The guard gestured to the nearest chair. The guard looks around the room, every corner and even under the table. "What are you doing?" I asked as he got back up from looking under the table. "No trips or cameras. Good." The guard sighed, taking a seat in the other chair.

The guard pulls down his mask, crossing his arms on the table, "Do you remember me?" He asks as he stares directly at me. I frowned my brows before shaking my head. The guard let out a disappointed sigh, dropping his head. "My name is Marcus. I'm your brother. Though I guess I shouldn't have expected much. Not after what Wicked did to you." My eyes widened at the news.

"What happened to me?" I cautiously asked. "You've always had great athletic abilities and a quick learner, they made you a guard instead of a test subject. You were beating up grown men twice your size by the time you were 10. You were to eventually be sent on the frontlines to fight Cranks" Marcus lets out a chuckle as he pulls out a file from his vest and slides it to me.

Clipped on the folder was a picture of a younger me. Opening the folder, there were various pictures of me training except one. I placed a finger on one which had a younger me and a young Asian boy. We seemed to be excitedly conversing about something.

"Minho had always been a good friend of yours. Maybe even more. If I wasn't the one attached to you by the hip, Minho was. You started forming plans behind Wicked to free the Gladers when Minho was sent up 3 years ago." Marcus explained. I could feel a smile and blush creep up to my face at the picture. It brought a fuzzy feeling in my chest even if I had lost my memories of this moment.

My eyes wandered to a corner that was peeking out from underneath all the other pictures. Pulling the picture out, my breath hitch as the picture came to full view. I carefully pickup the picture, taking a closer look at it.

I didn't look much older than I did now. What made me freeze however was the amount of blood lettered on me and around me. It was in the same white corridor from my vision during my trial as a Slicer. Blood was visibly dripping from my knife as my face held no remorse for the dead bodies around me.

Marcus brought the picture back down to the table, "This was about 5 months ago. Aziel was someone else you had bonded with, your lifeline especially after Mino was sent up. You were fixated on going up to the maze with him, to protect him. But you knew Wicked would not send you up to the Maze as a test subject without reason." He brought the Picture back in the folder, hiding it from sight.

"So you gave them a reason to." Marcus sighed as he closed the folder and put it back in his vest. "But why was I sent to the boy's Maze instead of the girl's?" I asked after I could finally wrap my head around my situation. "I switched you out with the boy who was supposed to go up to the Maze. It was the last favour you asked me." Marcus pursed his lips.

"Okay? But why tell me this now?" Confusion was quite evident on my face. "Because the trials aren't over. We are still in Wicked." Marcus fiddled with his fingers on the table. "What do you mean?" I leaned in closer. "We are still under Wicked, we never left it. Janson is the Assistant director of Wicked. Assigned to continue the Trials to those who passed the first one." Marcus explained. "Oh, you will eventually hear Janson or someone else mention a Safe place. That's all a lie. They would only bring you away for more tests and maybe even death." He also mentions.

"So we should escape is what you're saying." I confirmed. "Yes but not yet. Until I can find a way to get you all out safely. You would also need to find a way to convince your Glader friends to escape with you." Marcus explains his 'plan'. "Why would I need to convince them?" I furrowed my brows at him. "This is the first luxury those guys get to experience. They aren't going to let it go that easily. Minho and Aziel might because of you but the rest aren't like them." I only nodded at his explanation.

"We're running out of time." Marcus stands up from his seat after checking his watch. He grabbed my hand and forced something in it. Opening my hand, I see a syringe with some blue liquid in it, a plastic cap over the needle. "This serum should give at least some of your memories back. Whether you use it or not, make sure to dispose of the needle properly." I gave Marcus a thankful nod as I hid the syringe in the hem of my pants, covering it with my shirt.

"Don't tell anyone what I told you, just until I have a proper plan." Marcus opens the door, leading me to a canteen area.

⋯☾❀☽⋯

I was led to a canteen where I met up with Thomas. "(y/n)! Thomas!" The excited voice of Minho greeted me and Thomas. "Hey, what's going on?" I asked him as he stopped right in front of me. "We weren't the only Maze." With a grin, Minho grabbed my hand, guiding me to their table with Thomas following behind us.

I sat down on the table, not bothering to actually pay attention to the new guy's story. I could feel Aziel scoot up to the left of me as Minho sat down on my right. I could not really pay attention to the conversation happening at the table but still kept a confused and interested face to avoid questions. I was still slightly processing the information Marcus gave me. The only thing I managed to catch was that some guy in a grey hoodie has been here for about a week.

"Maybe you were put in our maze by accident." Minho brought my attention to him. "Maybe." was the only thing I could let out as I bit my lip to prevent spewing anything more. "But I'm glad for that accident." Minho puts an arm on the table, leaning in closer to me. Our breath intertwined but Janson unfortunately had to interrupt. "Good evening, gentleman. Ladies." Janson's loud voice caused me to turn and face him.

"You all know how this works. If you heard your name called. Please rise in an orderly fashion and join my colleagues behind me where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about to begin." Despite the excited murmurs that rang around the canteen, my stomach dropped, knowing the truth. Janson started calling out people but I could only glare at him.

After Janson had left with the people he called, I snaked a hand into Minho's, "I don't like this." I whispered to him. "What do you mean?" He whispered back. "Why take specific people? If they are going to send us all to a safe place, why hasn't he left yet?" I gestures to the lone boy in the grey hoodie trying to give Minho a hint. "Maybe, but even so, it's best to stay here for the time being. Until we can find a safe way out." Minho whispered back, squeezing my hand before leaning in again.

"What the hell? Hey, Teresa?" Thomas got up from his seat, chasing Teresa who was on the other side of the wall. I could see Minho pursing his lips in annoyance as he turned to Thomas who was now chatting to the guards by the canteen entrance.

⋯☾❀☽⋯

After eating and such, we were led to our sleeping quarters. Luckily I was able to go with the boys, holding Aziel's hand as we entered our sleeping quarters. "I got top bunk." Frypan was about to climb the ladder to the nearest bunk bed but Minho ignored it, just jumping up to the top. "Too slow." Minho shrugged as I went to the bottom bunk of Minho's bunk bed with Aziel. I waved a hand at Frypan as he wiggled his eyebrows, moving to a different bunk bed.

It was soon lights out. I was lying on the bottom bed, Aziel cuddled up to my side. I stared at the bottom of Minho's bed. Wiggling out the syringe Marcus gave me, I took off the plastic cap and injected the serum. Putting back the plastic cap, I gently place the empty syringe in between the gap of the bed and wall.

Closing my eyes, I cuddled up to Aziel.