Chapter 10: The Right Arm

-The Right Arm-

We all managed to cram into two trucks where they drove out further into the mountains. We stared in awe at the civilization in front of us when we got out of the car. People were wandering around makeshift tents, going on with their daily lives.

"Are we free now?" Aziel tugs on my arm. "Yeah- Yeah, I think we are." I smile down at him. I turn to (y/n), seeing her admire the view in front of us. The warm light from the sun is beautiful being captured in her eyes.

I reach for her hand, drawing small circles over it before kissing her knuckles, "We're free." I smile at her. She smiled back, gripping my hand tighter. "Home?" She asked. "Home." I confirm.

⋯☾❀☽⋯

We followed the two girls who were going to get us settled in, "They've been planning this for over a year now. This is all for us." Harriet explains. "You guys are lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light. Where's Vince." Sonya commented before asking a person walking by. "Somewhere over there, I think." They replied, pointing ahead.

"Who's Vince?" Thomas asked. "He's the one who decides if you get to stay. "I thought The Right Arm was supposed to be an army." I commented after noticing how little people there actually were.

"Yeah, we were." Someone answered. A gruff guy with brown hair and a beard with a gun strapped to his back approached us. "This is all that's left of us." He spread his arms, emphasising his point.

"Lot of good people died getting us this far. Who are they?" He asked the girls. "They're immunes. Caught 'em coming up the mountain." Harriet answered. "Did you check 'em?" The guy asked. "I know this guy, Aris. I trust him." Harriet points to Aris.

The guy shakes his head, "Well, I don't. Check 'em." he ordered. "Hey, boss." a bystander brought our attention to Brenda who was panting heavily before she collapsed. "Brenda! Brenda!" Jorge was quickly by her side, checking her condition.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She wheezes out. "What's going on with her?" The guy kneels beside Jorge who was cradling Brenda in his arms. "I don't know. Brenda, are you all right? Brenda? Talk to me." Jorge tries to get a response.

"Shit!" The guy cursed, quickly getting up and pulling a pistol out. "Crank! We got a Crank!" He announced. I look down at Brenda's leg to see a pale bite mark. (y/n) quickly got in front of Brenda, Pointing her own pistol at him. "Step back!" The guy orders as he tries to move Thomas who was trying to stop him.

"Listen, okay? This just happened, okay? She's not dangerous yet." Thomas hastily explains. "You shouldn't have brought her here!" The guy exclaims. "I know." Thomas tries to reason as we were getting pushed back from Brenda. Even someone had to hold Jorge back from getting too close to her. I pushed Aziel behind me and pulled (y/n) back, lowering her gun in the process.

"We let Cracks in her now, the safe haven doesn't last a week! Step back!" The guy orders. "I understand, okay? I understand. Just listen. Please. Please, okay? I told her that you could help. Okay? There's got to be something you can do." Thomas begs. "Yeah, there is." The guy responds, lowering his gun.

Only to cock it and raise it up to Brenda once more, "I can put her out of her misery." he says. "No! No!" Jorge struggled against the guy, now two guys, that were holding him back. "Vince, that's enough! Let him go." The women ran up to us, ordering the guy, who we now know is Vince. "Let him go!" She repeats her order, causing the two guys holding Jorge to loosen their grip.

"She's infected, Doc. There's nothing we can do for her." Vince explains to the women. "No, but he can." She looks directly at Thomas. "Hello, Thomas." She greets. "What? You know me?" Thomas asked. "Interesting. It makes sense they'd put you in the maze." The women knelt down beside Brenda. "Though I must admit, I was worried they'd kill you after what you did. After what the both of you did." She looks up to (y/n).