Chapter 8a: La Familia

"They were five different pieces of puzzle, yet they fit together just fine."

Adira Raichand stood on the threshold of her bedroom, arms folded and trained her vexed gaze towards her husband who looked equally annoyed, running his hands through his thick black hair

"I said I'm sorry. "

"You knew I had a busy week in the office. Then with Holi coming in a few days," she sighed, running her finger through her curly dark hair, already tired just thinking about the load of work she had. "What were you thinking?"

"It slipped my mind!" he said defensively. "But what was I supposed to say to my parents, that they can't come?"

Adira shook her head, scowling. "You should have asked me first or postponed it to a weekend. Now, how am I going to arrange everything at the last minute?"

"As if we don't have a staff of people to help us out," Kabir shrugged not understanding why his wife was making a big deal out of this.

He knew he should've informed her the minute he invited his family to dinner on a week day but it had honestly slipped his mind. But he was ready to help.

"You know your mother, right? If the slightest thing goes wrong she is going to blame me," Adira complained.

"You make my mother out to be a villain. Kabir argued. "She isn't that hard to please."

"For you. But she has never liked me."

Kabir heaved a sigh, clicking his tongue is dismay, "Of course she likes you. You're my wife. She chose you."

"No Kabir. Why else do you think she never stays at our place whenever she's in the city?" Adira pointed out.

Kabir narrowed his dark brown eyes. "Because we chose to live apart instead of staying at the family mansion like Dhruv." He argued, not willing to accept the fact that his mother would not want to come live with them because of his wife.

"She has never been the same to me after-" His wife sighed and looked away.

"Can you blame her?"

Kabir winced. He hadn't realised what he'd said until he saw his wife staring at him with a pained frown and parted lips.

Gauri Raichand was not an easy lady to deal with but she loved her family unconditionally. She was as protective of them as she was unforgiving to those who hurt them.