Chapter 8b: La Familia

Glossary:

Dadi- Paternal Grandmother

Dadu- Paternal Grandfather

Chachu- Paternal Uncle

Chachi- Paternal Aunt in Law

Bua- Paternal Aunt

Mamu- Maternal Uncle

Mami- Maternal Aunt in law

Bhabhi: Elder brother's wife

*********

"Every family has it's cracks. Some are just better at concealing it with outwardly glamour."

The wrought iron gate opened with minimal creak, giving way to two luxurious black cars; one Lexus SUV followed by a Bentley sedan making their way onto the gravelled pathway of the mansion grounds bordered by pruned shrubs and trees

The two cars rounded the circular driveway with a white stoned water fountain located in the center and stopped at the foot of the marble stairs leading up to the front porch of the sprawling mansion in off white, supported by spiral columns.

Dhruv Raichand stepped out of the driver's seat and went over to open the back door to the left side of the car and helped out his mother who was sitting beside his wife Vedika.

Taking her son's hand, Gauri Raichand exited the car and after giving him a pat made her way towards a tall but stoic man who was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for her. Her husband. Always so silent. But she could sense his approval in the way his lips stretched into a ghost smile while watching her re arrange her crème silk Saree.

"Have I told you that you look delightful today?"

Gauri Raichand let out a laugh and placed her hand on her husband's coat covered chest. "Umar ka lihaz karein, Raichand Sahab. You are almost seventy. Let the youngsters do the flirting."

They had been married for almost five decades yet she still felt like a newlywed whenever her usually stern and serious husband praised her.

Viren Raichand smirked. "Just complimenting you, my dear."

He placed his hand on the small of his wife's back as she shook her head and smiled, the wrinkles at the corner of her lips showing while they waited for their children to gather around.

From the black sedan exited a family of three. Ishani skipped ahead of her parents to stand alongside Sameer while the last of the Raichand, took her time to saunter towards the door with her husband on tow.