Chapter 13: Language of Flowers

Yes, I am alive. (barely)

No, I am not abandoning my book.

Here's a long chapter. Enjoy and share your thoughts :)

-----------------------

"'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all."

~Lord, Alfred Tennyson

🎶 Bolo na- Shreya Ghoshal

Dev stood before the closed door for the longest time

Dev stood before the closed door for the longest time. His thoughts, a tempest of tumultuous emotions.

Eventually, he retreated into the isolated corners of his home, the faint rays of the setting sun casting a sombre glow on his path.

And as the day wore on, Dev still remained haunted by the events, even as he tried to distract himself with some chores. But there wasn't much to do around the house today except laundry.

Dev was pouring himself a glass of water in the kitchen when the front door clicked open.

It was almost sundown. Time for his mother was home.

From his place hunched behind the breakfast counter, he could hear her fumble with the locks; locking and unlocking them. Jerking the door to make sure it was secure.

Dev was about to go and see what was going on when he heard the resolute sound of the door being slammed shut and the tap of his mother's footsteps towards her room.

He should follow her. Check up on her. Make sure she is fine. She got anxious when she didn't see him upon coming home.

Instead, he rubbed his aching eyes and went back into the sitting room.

It was best to leave her in solitude, he thought. Especially when he too needed time to collect himself.

Dev staggered towards a lone armchair and fell back with a groan, holding a glass of chilled water. His parched throat appreciated it. Him, not so much. He needed something stronger.

Meera's ultimatum was still ringing fresh in his head.

It had left him adrift.

Dev understood her position, he did. The ceaseless discourse without a conclusion was wearing him out too.

Still, when Meera spoke of her waning love, it felt like a thousand thorns piercing his heart all at once.

Because for Dev, even the mere thought of a future without Meera was unfathomable.

How could he go without her sweetness, her shine, her love; which had become such a vital part of his life?

They were like a wooden plank to a man fighting against the roaring waves. Without it, he would be lost in the ominous sea of loneliness, secrets and vengeance.