Chapter 9: He's Worth It

*Unedited

"It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they are worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it."

~Cassandra Clare

🎶 Mere Hamsafar (Title track)

"What a day," Ishani exclaimed, falling on the bed in her pajamas

Meera hummed while applying lotion on her face. She followed her nightly routine very diligently.

They were alone in her room. Sameer had decided to stay back with Ayaansh. They were having a sleepover, or what they called as a 'Bro's night'. As if that made any sense.

Meera eyed the necklace Ishani was playing with.

"Is that new?"

Caught, Ishani let go of it, flustered. "Ah, yes. It was a gift."

"He has good taste," teased Meera. Ishani's tinted cheeks were a confirmation enough.

"No- that's not-" Ishani exhaled. "Why bother? Yes, he does," she relented and blushed.

Meera sighed.

At least someone was being courted.

Yawning, she made her way inside the covers.

"Well, goodnight then."

She was on the verge of falling asleep when suddenly she was jerked awake, quite ruthlessly.

Meera glared at the insolent girl beside her who still had far too much energy to parallel her.

"You're just going to sleep?" Ishani gaped at her as if she was committing a crime.

Meera rolled her eyes. "As far as I know, people sleep at night. So yes."

"But we have so much to talk about."

"Isha I'm tired," Meera groaned. "Can we do this another day?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow. Then we'll only meet on Holi and we'll be busy that day."

"Correction. You'll be busy," Meera pointed out. "Gawking at someone," she muttered earning herself a glare.

"Don't change the subject again."