Chapter 6: A Fortress of Lies

"Lies are like a pile of dominoes. One wrong move and they all topple away."

🎶 Arcade

We are all liars

We are all liars.

We lie to protect ourselves.

We lie to protect others.

We lie to keep our secrets.

We lie to delude our minds.

---------------------------

Meera Raichand was a liar.

For two months she lied to herself saying she just needed Dev to know about her feelings, that in turn she didn't need a reciprocation of his love. She thought she could take his rejection. How wrong was she?

It only took one clash of reality and his cruel dismissal for all the lies she ever told herself and the lies her friends fed her, crumble to dust.

"You and me, it's never going to happen."

A tear drop rolled down from the corner of her face, tracing the path to her trembling lips as she tasted salt and more followed. They clouded her vision as she watched Dev's blurry form trying to maintain his wavering emotionless facade as if he hadn't just broken her heart to pieces.

"People will either love you or they won't. But you can't force them to accept you."

A cruel thing to say to a child who had been scorned by yet another person she had loved, but her mother had taught her a valuable lesson for life.

And Meera cried for she realised that all along she had been fighting for his acceptance. She cried because she was hurt and devastated. She sobbed because she was helpless. Helplessly watching the man she had fallen for not accepting her and denying her-them of their happily ever after.

But in the end, she conceded. It was her fault, for assuming that he felt for her just as strongly as she felt for him, for hoping that he would, for a moment, put her before his friendship of five years.

No wonder, it was called falling in love. Because when there was no one to catch you in the end, you only fell and fell into the never-ending pit of darkness.

You and me, it's never going to happen.

Choking out a painful sob, she tried to wipe the unceasing flow of whitish pearls and she said, "you hurt me today." Her doe eyes full of childlike innocence and hurt. Hurt caused by him.

"Meera," his voice came in a hoarse whisper but it pricked her like a bunch of needles.

She raised a hand. "Stop. You've said enough." She didn't want to hear his explanation. "Today you not only insulted my intelligence by doubting my feelings but you also insulted me by belittling them."