Chapter 14

Reggie's POV

I didn't want to not trust Rue, I mean I do trust her, but there's no way I'm crossing over. I can't.

I shove my hands in the pockets of my leather jacket. I can feel the paper in there as if it's taunting me. Maybe it wouldn't hurt just to check. I mean, I am kinda curious to see what it is and if I know what my unfinished business is I can actively avoid not doing it. Not knowing I run the risk of doing it accidentally and crossing over when I don't even want to.

I play with the corners of the paper contemplating whether or not to look at what would be written on it. Who's to say this really is my unfinished business anyway? What if it's a lie?

"Well hello there." A ghost randomly poofs next to me startling me. He was tall, looked to be just in his twenties. He had a sharp, well-defined jaw line, brown hair and ocean blue eyes.

"Uh, hi." I say confused. Who is he and why is he talking to me?

"You know, the beach is my favorite place to go to think, or to get my mind off of things. It's just so peaceful here." The man says.

"Yeah. I guess." I say feeling a little awkward.

"Sorry, I'm being rude. Let me introduce myself, my names Wesley, but you can call me Wes." He says holding out his hand for me to shake.

I won't be calling him anything, because I don't plan on seeing him again.

"Sorry. I don't shake hands with strange men." I say keeping my hands in my pockets. Wes laughs and puts his hand down.

"Smart choice kid. You never know who you might run into. Some ghosts are trouble."

"I have to go, my friends are probably waiting for me." I say.

"But I haven't got you're name?" Wes smiles at me and his smile imitates that of the cat from Alice in Wonderland. The kind of smile that seems innocent but behind it lies dark motivation.

Or maybe I've watched too many true crime documentaries and horror movies.

"It's Peter." I lie. "My names Peter."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Peter." Wes says his smile getting tighter. "Maybe I'll see you around here more often, Beach Buddy."

"Maybe." I say and then I poof away, back to the studio. That was very weird, but maybe that dude was just a weird dude. Weird is harmless right?

Rue's POV

There has to be something I can do to convince Luke to help me convince Reggie to cross over. I admit he's right, tricking him probably wouldn't be the best thing to do. I just can't let Wes get to him.

Maybe I could try Alex. Maybe he'll help. I don't know but I have to do something.

"Hey how's it going out here." Alex asks coming out. "Where's Luke and Reggie, what happened?"

"Long story." I sigh. "Do you trust me?"

"Yeah, why?" Alex asks. "Are you gonna give me a reason not to trust you? And where's Reggie what did you guys talk about I swear if you-"

"Relax, I know if I do anything to hurt him you'll break my fingers we've been over this." I say. I let out a deep sigh. Where do I start? And how much do I tell him? Can I tell him the whole truth, including telling him who my brother is, and the truth about me?

"Alex, I....Reggie needs to cross over otherwise someone I...know, someone I know, will hurt him." I say. "It's hard to explain but if you trust me please help me get Reggie to cross over. I tried to tell him but he got upset and left and then Luke came out and I told him and he left to find Reggie."

"I mean, I trust you but what happened? Why would this person hurt him, is Caleb back?"

"No, no it's a different person." I say. "Look I can't say too much but it's better you all cross over because he'll be after all of you. He's only after Reggie first because he knows- nevermind."

"No wait what we're you gonna say." Alex smirks.

"Nothing." I deny.

"No you were gonna say because he knows you're in love with him." Alex says. "You're in love with Reggie."

I didn't quite know what to say. I mean Alex is Reggie's best friend and he's been nicer to me than Luke, but he also seems super protective of Reggie and I don't wanna get on his bad side.

"Relax, I approve." Alex smiles. "You and Reggie are literally the cutest couple."

"We aren't a couple."

"Yet." Alex smiles. "Okay but back to the problem, do you have any other information on this guy? Maybe we can take him down."

"I've told you everything I can. Look just please will you help me?" I ask. "I had this idea but Luke turned me down and maybe he's right but I wanna know what you think."

"What is it?" Alex asks.

"If we could somehow get Reggie to do his unfinished business without knowing it's is unfinished business we could get him to cross over." I say.

"I don't know that seems kinda much." Alex says. "I mean it's his choice."

"I know but I can't let him get hurt, it's my fault if he does." I say. I should have never made a deal with my brother to become a ghost again. I should have hidden my feelings better. Or maybe I should have never became so close to Reggie because it feels like no matter what I do I'm hurting him.

"No, don't blame yourself okay we'll figure it out." Alex says. "I'll talk to him. But one things for sure we're not gonna let anybody hurt him. I'd die before I ever let that happen."

"Uhh...you are dead." I say.

"It's an expression!" Alex sighs. Just then Reggie poofs back.

"Oh hey guys." He says. He looks to me. "Sorry for poofing away earlier."

"No, it's okay." I say. Maybe I should have came to him with a different approach. I didn't know he was so afraid of crossing over. "I actually have to go, I'll see you later." I say poofing away so Alex and Reggie can talk.