Chapter Ten: The Reckoning

Author's Note: Thank you all for your continued support in reading/reviewing/following/favoriting this story! I love you all so much! Here is the final chapter for the fourth episode. I CAN'T WAIT for the fifth episode to air, as that will be the last one before the time jump happens. From there, the narrative of this story is going to change dramatically... So until then, happy reading. This is the moment you have all been waiting for~

Disclaimer: Mature Content, Graphic Physical Violence, Graphic Sexual Content

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DRAGON & THE ROSE - CHAPTER FOUR/PART THREE

The Following Night

Elaena stood in front of the mirror, completely lost for words as she looked at herself. The wedding she was about to walk into was certainly not the one she had imagined for herself as a young girl. In the most beautiful dreams of her youth she imagined herself in the throne room with every person worth being there to watch. Flowers would adorn every inch of the room, roses of every color filling it. Thousands of candles would be lit and scattered, from the chandeliers hanging above to the floor of the aisle. She'd be dressed in an extravagant red gown stitched with roses, a piece of art acting as homage to both of the houses she held allegiance to. But she would have none of those things for her wedding.

Instead, she was heading to the Godswood alone, with no one but Daemon, her husband to be, and Rhaenyra to stand witness to it. There would be no flowers, no candles, no grand feast following to celebrate. She would have nearly none of her family to celebrate this day with her. But as she looked at her reflection she realized that none of it mattered. No material thing could make what was coming for her any sweeter.

Elaena's eyes examined herself, imagining what Daemon would shortly see. With Rhaenyra's help, she wore a simple yet beautiful gown of white. The top half of her silver hair was braided into a singular crown atop her head, the rest of the long curls falling down her back. And the only piece of jewelry she carried was the necklace of pearls and valyrian steel that Daemon had gifted her on her first night in King's Landing, the first day that they were reunited. Despite how plain she looked, how different from how she always imagined herself to be dressed on her wedding day, she felt this was better. It felt right to put herself before the gods as plainly as she could, the only thing mattering her love for Daemon.

"You look beautiful, cousin," Rhaenyra whispered, resting her head on Elaena's shoulder as they both looked at her in the mirror. "Absolutely radiant."

Elaena clutched Rhaenyra's hand, smiling at her cousin through the mirror with tears in her eyes. "Do you think he'll be pleased?"

"How could he not be?" Rhaenyra laughed lightly, squeezing Elaena's hand gently.

Elaena slowly turned around, looking at Rhaenyra with sadder eyes now. "I don't have to do this."

"What are you talking about?" Rhaenyra asked, furrowing her brows. "Don't be silly, of course you do."

"You know what the Velaryon's reaction will be to our elopement," Elaena said quietly, feeling her body fill with nerves. "They'll turn to you as their last option to marry their children into the throne. And if you refuse, they'll declare war."

"I know," Rhaenyra said with a small nod, smiling through her own sadness. "But after my failure to complete my engagement tour my father and Alicent are already down my throats to marry. It was going to be someone someday, why not marry Laenor to ensure that you get your happiness?"