Chapter Twenty-Two: Raise Your Cups

Author's Note: Omg y'all...I can't wait for you to read this chapter. So much is about to happen, you don't even know. I won't waste anytime now, I just hope y'all enjoy reading~

Thank you all for being patient for these updates!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DRAGON & THE ROSE - EPISODE EIGHT/PART TWO

Later That Evening

After a stressful day for them all, Elaena was surprised to hear that Viserys wanted the whole family to attend supper with him. She thought more than anything that he would be too tired after the scene in the throne room, that he would just want to rest. And while she was happy to dine with him, she wasn't quite so content knowing that Alicent and her children would be there as well.

"Help me with the clasp, Daemon?" Elaena asked, pulling her hair off of her neck so that he could fasten the necklace.

He took the thick metal strands into hand, his fingers gently brushing against her skin as he tried to connect them. "There, darling."

"Thank you," Elaena exhaled, turning to look at herself in the mirror. She touched the small pearls on her neck as she examined herself, nervously rubbing her thumb over them.

"Are you alright?" Daemon asked, looking into her eyes through the reflection as he stood behind her.

"I'm fine," she said softly, dropping her hand to meet his own. "I just have a bad feeling about tonight."

"Care to explain why?" he asked, wrapping his arms around her to hold her close. She held her hands over his, feeling comforted by his touch.

"I don't know how to," she started, pinching her lips together as she thought, "I suppose I just don't like the idea of us all being in one room together. I feel like it's a recipe for disaster."

"I hope you're wrong," he muttered, placing a small kiss on her cheek. "It would be nice to have a night of peace, for my brother's sake if nothing else."

"I hope I'm wrong too," she sighed, looking at him through the mirror with a small smile on her face.

"Shall we go then?"

"Sure," she nodded, turning around to take his hand and walk towards the dining room. They walked silently together, not needing words of encouragement to feel supported by the other. The simple act of each other's touch was enough to know that whatever they were walking into, they were doing it together.

Once they walked into the candlelit room, they saw that nearly everyone was already there, all sitting silently. Elaena took her place at the table across from Rhaenyra, looking at her with knowing eyes before turning to take a peak at the rest of the supper guests. All around the table sat Alicent, her brother Gwayne, Aegon, Aemond, Helaena, Jace, Luke, Ameon, Viseryn, Rhaena, Rhaenys, and Baella.

The only person missing was King Viserys.

He was the one person able to unite this group of people, the one person who could force them all to behave around each other. Without him it was only 15 pairs of eyes staring at each other with either hatred or love, no in between.

Elaena remained silent in her seat as one of the servants placed a large platter of roasted vegetables before her, then turned to the side to look at her daughter. Rhaena sat uncomfortably in her seat, looking once to Aegon and then back to her mother. Aegon immediately looked away once Elaena's eyes found him, but they both knew that he hadn't avoided detection.