Chapter Nineteen: A Sacred Oath

Author's Note: Hi everyone! As promised, here is the second chapter for the seventh episode! Thank you to all of you who are still sticking around and reading each week and giving your feedback. I'm so glad you all seem to be enjoying the story so far. ❤️

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DRAGON & THE ROSE - EPISODE SEVEN/PART TWO

"Shh, shh, it's alright, it's almost over," Elaena said calmly, pressing a kiss on her daughter's head as she held her.

"It hurts-" Rhaena whimpered, squirming a little in her mother's arms as the maester made another stitch across the cut on her cheek.

"I know, darling, I know," Elaena tried soothing her, combing her hands gently through the girl's hair. Daemon sat next to them both, holding Rhaena's hand in his own for comfort.

Both of the girl's brothers sat across from them watching with wide and sad eyes. It had taken a long time for the maester to be finished with Aemond's sliced eye and the other children of the court. By the time he had gotten to Elaena's family to help them, Aemon's wrist had swollen twice its normal size and turned a nasty purple color. Upon seeing this the maester wanted to treat Aemon's wrist immediately, but Aemon had insisted that the maester help Rhaena before him.

When the maester finally cut off the end of the silk thread used for the fifth and final stitch, she let out a small cry, buring herself deeper into her mother's arms for protection.

"Well done, my darling," Elaena soothed her, giving her a small squeeze.

"That wasn't so bad was it?" Daemon asked lightly, tickling her stomach lightly to try and get a smile from her. But she seemed less than willing to comply with this, only crying harder now.

"It's going to give me a big, ugly scar," she cried, her tiny chest shaking with tears.

"Even if it does, it won't be ugly, it'll be marvelous," Viseryn said, walking towards her with excitement in his voice. Both Elaena and Daemon looked to each other with small smiles on their face, listening as he did his best to try to cheer his little sister up.

"Marvelous?" Rhaena asked, sniffling as she lifted her head up to look at him with confusion.

"It'll be just like mother and father's scars, proof that you're a brave warrior," Viseryn nodded, a proud smile on his face as he spoke to her.

"You really think so?" she asked, forgetting her sadness and pain more and more by the second.

"Oh yes, my darling," Daemon said with a cheerful voice. He leaned down low so that he was eye level with her, a glint in his eye shining as he spoke. "You'll be forever known as Rhaena the Brave."

Rhaena laughed a little at this thought, her smile beaming. But it didn't last long, for stretching her cheeks that far made her wound hurt.

"Here you are, Your Grace," the maester said, handing Daemon a cup with a very small amount of milk of the poppy inside. Daemon turned to Rhaena with a small smile, handing her the cup.

"Drink all of this up for me, alright? For the pain," he said to his daughter, watching as she slowly drank it. Her nose wrinkled from the recoiling taste of the drink, but Daemon could see she didn't leave a single drop left inside before handing it back to him. "Good girl."