Chapter Twenty-Nine: A White Wedding

Author's Note: Hey everyone, here we are! Rhaena's wedding, with a surprise guest towards the end... I hope you enjoy the chapter!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DRAGON & THE ROSE - SEASON'S END/PART TWO

Rhaena Targaryen, Two Weeks Later

"Would you prefer the hem to be shortened just a touch, Princess?" one of the lady's maids asked, frowning at the end of the long and pale white wedding gown. "It seems a bit long to me-"

"Thank you but it's fine the way it is," Rhaena responded, forcing a small smile as she looked down. Just as she did this another one of the dozen women surrounding her moved to add something to her hair, while another's needle pricked her on the shoulder.

Rhaena inhaled through her teeth at this sharp bit of pain, then closed her eyes, wanting nothing more than for all of this fuss to be over with.

"Leave the Princess alone now," Rhaena's head lady's maid scolded the others, "She's had enough primping and preening, let her breathe."

Each of the ladies took slow steps backwards, allowing for their Princess to have some room.

"Thank you, Amie," Rhaena said softly once the girl had approached her.

"Of course, Princess. Is there anything else you can think of that we can do?" Amie asked kindly, her smile a bit sad. "Any last touches you'd like made?"

"No, no," Rhaena shook her head. She then looked down and swallowed roughly, feeling the nerves in her belly turn. "If you could just bring my mother here, I'm sure she can finish up."

"At once, Your Grace," Amie nodded, turning around to shoo the others away. Once the door was closed behind them all, Rhaena let out a small exhale of tension, trying to calm herself down.

While she had known for a long time that she would be marrying Jace, she had never truly faced it. She always pushed the thoughts of doubt and fear about marriage as a whole away, knowing that this was her duty to her family that she couldn't back out of. And now that the day had finally come where she would have to solidify the idea of her marriage into reality, she felt completely overwhelmed by it all.

During her last supper with Viserys and the rest of her family, Greens and Blacks alike, the choice of whether she would marry or not was taken from her. From there the only free will she had in this matter was choosing who she was to marry, so she named the only person that made sense at the time. When it came to Jace, Rhaena knew that she loved him as family, as a friend, but nothing more. And while her parents had assured her over the last two weeks that their love for each other might grow over the years, Rhaena still felt apprehension.

Jace was the better match for her in every way. Not only would marrying him make her the future Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, but marrying him meant marrying someone that knew her well and cared for her. She knew in her bones that he would never do a thing to hurt her, that he would honorably devote himself to her with respect and kindness.

But despite these seemingly perfect qualities in a partner, how could she grow to love Jace when her heart was already confused and muddled with feelings surrounding Aemond?

It frustrated her to no end to have it be him on her mind, for the only thing that Aemond promised her was doubt and danger...and yet somehow this prospect seemed more desirable to her.