Chapter 1. (Saphire's POV)

Any comments or insights, something you liked or disliked would be highly appreciated. This is my first book so I hope to gain experience, and see if I'm going in the right direction. Leave a comment or message me directly. Enjoy.

There are very few places on Earth where I feel as though I'm at home and weirdly enough my workplace is one of them. Not just because my best friend is here working with me and I get to see her almost every day, it is more than that.

The comfortable, safe feeling I aquire when I enter the cafe in the early morning is more than enough to relieve me of any stress I might have. It is small and unusual, with different coloured chairs around peculiar shaped tables, long wall filled with a wide variety of books which always was one of my favourite things about the cafe; a shift was never boring when I had one of those babies in my hands. Red, leather booths filling up most of the space to the right, and a floor to ceiling windows opposite them. That was the best part, getting to see people rush from one place to the other, hectic lives taking over. Worried to get on time to a job, school, lost in their own worlds as they go on about their day.

It was always my wish to capture that moment of hurry on a few pieces of paper. As short as possible, without boring someone to death yet leaving them interested for more. It was the biggest challenge I faced in all my years of trying, and failing, to write a good book.

I wonder if I should add such details to the one I'm currently on. What if I add some features from my life to the main character? God knows just how much mess it is consisted out of. From France to New York in a heartbeat, and still I had no idea what home feels like, despite my family having so many houses in their possession. Not like I can forget about them given how much they praise them in front of anybody willing to listen. I am just grateful Topaz and I matured early enough to see through their greed filled lies. Speaking of which I should really call my sister, we haven't spoken in ages. Her fault, as always. Not that I blame her. She is a surgeon, however, she is my little sister too, and I miss her cold attitude towards fake people sometimes, our parents included.

„How is it possible for a person to zone out so much during one day?" Cami's voice brought me back to reality.

„Do you think I should add some personal details to my book?" I ignored her inquiry. I spaced out most of the day. It didn't have anything to do with her and she was aware of it as much as I was. My head was in a constant state of fucked up worry and I didn't know how to get a grip on it any other way. I guess it was a result of having parents like mine.

„What do you mean?" she was preparing a coffee order of one of our regulars that just sat down. That is the third, and last favourite part of the cafe for me. People. Everybody that comes here is familiar with one another, this place is like a safe haven to many people. I don't necessarily mean that we are packed with crowds of people just because our coffee is great, I mean different types of people all come to have a minute of peace in this fast paced world.

„I mean do you think adding some details from my personal life would be good and the readers would enjoy the connection or are they going to hate it and burn the book?" Cami is one of two people who knows about my aspirations to become a writer, the other person is my sister, but then again I've been friends with Camile for so long she feels like a sister to me too.

„You know I never did well in essay writing in school and have zero clue on how to write a book," she was putting the coffee on my tray and added a cookie from her basket like she always brings on Wednesdays. She says that everybody needs a little push when Wednesday rolls in because it is the middle of the week and our energy is low. „However, I believe there is no harm in trying. If you don't like it just delete it later, after all making our dreams come true is no easy job," that is Cami in her core. Gentle and nice, a grounded rock ready to give you a push to believe in your dreams. I sometimes wonder what I ever did right to deserve a friend like her by my side.