Chapter 19. G. POV

I don't remember the last time I ran so fast. The minute Becca called to tell me what went down between her and Saph I knew she was up to something. You don't have to be in the Navy to figure that shit out.

Coming back home to an empty room, her suitcase gone everything squeaky clean, yeah, she definitely left. But why? Bex told me just the basics of their conversation. The part about protecting her brothers and then the part where Saphire talked on about her parents being dickheads. God that overthinking brain is going to kill me one day.

Just when I was about to leave in search for her, my phone rang and I wouldn't have answered if I hadn't seen the caller ID.

„Boss? Is everything alright?"

„I just had a very interesting conversation G," my mind spiralled. I couldn't focus, I needed to go out and find Saphire before she disappeared on me for good, I didn't have time for his charades over the phone, no matter how much respect I had for him.

„Sir, I am very sorry but this isn't a good time, I need to..." I was cut off.

„I was paid a visit by none other than George Jean-Palette," I went still as a mountain. All the pieces clicked together. What Saphire was thinking about when she zoned out, why she ran out on Becca.

„He told me a lot of things about you. Apparently, he ran into you, and you came across to him as a violent, aggressive man with bad judgement."

„Sir, that is not..." I wanted to bust George Jean-Palette's jaw.

„He said how you insulted him and drew a gun on him. Said that he came here to offer this information to me, to help cleanse our station of these kind of bullies. Do you know what else he gave me?"

„Sir, please, I never..." I was trying to explain myself but he wasn't done.

„He gave me a cheque for 30 grand, as gratitude, because he knows I will do the right thing," boss never struck me as the man that would take a bribe, he has too much integrity.

„Tell me son," there was a long pause before he continued, „did I do the right thing by arresting this man for attempting to bribe an officer of the law?" I could hear the smile in his voice.

„Sir, it was the right thing to do, thank you," I added hoping he knew how much he helped me.

„I don't know what you did to get yourself an enemy like a Jean-Palette but for as long as I can, I will have your back," he ended the call there.

Needless to say I ran out and started towards the nearest bus station. Saphire has no other way of transportation, I was her ride and a taxi would be too expensive, going on foot is not even in the picture if I know my girl. So I ran. I ran and ran and caught the bus just before it left off.

Going inside I saw the old bus driver, greeted him and came to a halt when I saw her. In the almost empty bus, apart from the granny sitting in the back with her pup, I saw her. She was crying, her face all red like she's been at it for quite some time. She was willing to leave me just so her parents wouldn't hurt me. She didn't know that if she wasn't by my side for the rest of our lives, I was a dead man anyway.

I went on, she didn't even register I had entered the bus until I took a seat next to her. Her eyes went wide, her knuckles rubbed against each other, she was almost shuddering, and I didn't know if I wanted to yell at her for thinking about leaving me or thinking I couldn't handle her parents.

„You know, once upon a time you made me a promise Saphire. You made me a promise that you were going to fight for us, that this was real."

„It is real," she replied, finally she speaks.