21

Raghav rushed towards her apartment, his subconscious kept chanting, be safe, over and over in his head.

A very scared Haya stumbled upon him as he walked closer, the door to her apartment was not locked as they left it, her back touching his front as she looked inside.

He immediately turned her, burying her face in his chest, his hand covering her face as he refused to let her keep watching.

He embraced her shivering self into his arms.

The apartment that once was clean and nicely kept wasn't recognizable anymore, things scattered around, the vases broken, and the photo frames that once were hanging on the wall with smiling faces laid on the ground.

The place looked like a hurricane came over and left before she came.

"The- the door was open, I…I…" Her voice broke, "Why?"

Her neighbor who heard her scream too, walked out to see what was happening, the frown on his face turned into a horrified one as he looked inside the apartment.

Raghav pulled Haya aside, cupping her face to make her look at him as she tried to look into her apartment.

"Can you call the police for me?" Raghav asked the neighbor.

"Sure." He nodded, walking aside to call the police.

"Why would someone do that? This…this-"

He kept a finger over her lips, "Shh." Wiping the tears off her face, "Do you by any chance have cameras inside?" He asked.

"No." She answered, "It was never a need." She shook her head, "My…my necklace, I need that necklace." She suddenly realized, freeing herself from him as she ran towards her apartment door.

"Haya, wait-" He called after her, watching her pause as she stepped on something.

She took a step back, the rose that she left on the table lay down on the floor, burnt to ashes.

"This. This is not normal, someone did this intentionally." She turned to Raghav, "Someone…" Her hands moved up, clutching her head as she tried to wrap her thoughts around whatever happened just in a span of a few hours.

The police arrived a while later, quickly interrogating the whole place before asking her to check if something was stolen or not. Upon checking, she found all the valuable things she owned at their place, the whole place was wrecked but nothing was stolen.

"Why would anyone do that? What wrong did I do?" She asked, no one specifically.

"It's okay, everything will be okay. The search team is looking into the matter. Go pack a bag, you're not staying here anymore." Raghav said, patting her shoulder comfortingly.

"But-"

"No." He shook his head, "This isn't normal Haya and thankfully, you weren't home. And I'll be damned if I allowed you to put yourself at risk."

"I'll…I'll stay with my parents." She replied.

"You think they won't find it suspicious? You said you won't tell them about this. How about...if you don't feel comfortable with sharing the place with me, I own a hotel nearby, I can stay there for the time being?" He asked.

"But…I can stay at the hotel-"

"It's not safe enough."

"Let's not argue over this please, I'm exhausted." She sighed, walking inside the apartment once the investigating team was done clicking pictures of the site.

She took out a bag, throwing random things inside, her mind too busy trying to process everything.

Raghav touched her hand, stopping her, "Let me." He packed a few pair of clothes for her, "Haya?" He called, watching her standing beside him but her focus more on the outside.