Chapter Four: 'Would you like it if I picked you?'

The thing Alori disliked most about winter were the long nights. She could tolerate the cold and tended to enjoy layering on apparel, cozying up in hats and fuzzy shawls, but there was something sad and lonely about saying goodbye to the sun so early in the day.

Standing in front of the wide picture window in the privacy of her temporary bedchamber, she surveyed the darkened landscape outside, what little could be discerned of it in the cloud-chasing moonlight.

"I can't believe they've turned this into a game," she grumbled, turning toward her grandmother propped in an armchair beside the fireplace.

When she'd left Yuka after their circuit through the gallery, the adrenaline coursing through Alori's veins had tricked her into feeling excitement, but now only annoyance remained. Choosing a husband wasn't a trivial pursuit, and she didn't appreciate Yuka– or anyone, for that matter– treating it like one.

Hamoni smiled. "Is that why you haven't gone to see the other bard yet?"

"His name is Taelan."

Of course her grandmother would think this was a charming little lark! Living vicariously through her eldest granddaughter was one of the old woman's last remaining entertainments. And all the better for her, because she didn't have to experience the moments of embarrassment and humiliation herself.

Alori blew a puff air through her lips before speaking. "I'm unsure how to approach him, now that I know he may not be forthright. I'm considering turning their little scheme on its head. Do you think that's fair?"

"Almost anything is fair, where the heart is involved," Hamoni said, resting her chin on her upturned palm. "What do you have in mind?"

Alori turned away, hiding her hot cheeks. It was easier than attributing her sudden flush to the fire she wasn't standing near. "It may not be wholly proper, but I was thinking I might gain the advantage if I seduce him."

"Hmmm..."

"If Taelan is in love with me, I expect he'll betray himself if I pretend to be smitten. If I put my hand on his arm, for example, or whisper in his ear, I might get a reaction."

"What if you brought him to your room?"

Through the window's reflection, Alori saw the wicked grin form on her grandmother's face. No doubt Hamoni was wondering how her granddaughter would receive such uncharacteristic impertinence, such unseemly insinuation. But Hamoni hadn't been acting like herself since they'd gotten here. Alori didn't know what to think anymore.

"You cannot be serious."

"Why not? You're allowed a private audience with the bards, and one of them will become your husband. Is it not imperative that you make the most harmonious match? The good of the Ville-Realms hangs in the balance."

"I know. But I can't very well have a dalliance with multiple men!"

Moreover, she didn't want to.

Hamoni shrugged. "When will you ever get another opportunity?"

Alori couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You're awful, Hamoni! Please tell me your courtship with my grandfather wasn't such a scandal."

"Heavens no, child. Your grandmother Mara was a strict queen. During her reign everyone walked a razor's edge of custom and propriety. But times have changed, even though your own upbringing didn't stray quite so far. Women have more freedom now. The right to pursue whomever we want and love whomever we choose is part of your mother's legacy. And it's the same for you... insofar as you choose a bard, of course." The old marchioness winked, seemingly amused by her own teasing. "And I daresay, these young bards won't mind jumping at your beck and call. Men are all alike."