Chapter Six: 'Do you want to be treated like a princess...?'

Tomso whisked onto the stage, clapping enthusiastically. Reeve was seated behind the piano, watching Alori with wary dark eyes . The third spotlight was empty. She would have looked around for Taelan, but Yuka sauntered up to her and his ridiculous show of bowing overwhelmed her field of vision.

"Bravo!" Tomso bellowed as he came to stand beside them. "That was magnificent! The music, the dance, the dramatic ending. I daresay, people shall be talking about this performance for years to come."

Alori took a long, slow breath and considered her response. Many ears would be listening. "It was a beautiful piece of music," she agreed, passing the blindfold back to the giddy conductor. "I was curious how it would resonate with my magic."

"I think we can all agree that it could not have resonated more perfectly!" Emphasizing his point, Tomso shook the silky black blindfold around like a celebration streamer.

Yuka held his viola casually propped against his hip, the bow jutting out behind him. He was still smiling. Always smiling. "Princess Alori, if you don't mind my asking, what do you call that dance? It was captivating. I'm sure none of us could take our eyes off you."

"And you most of all, I presume?"

If the stage under her feet was wet from the sarcasm dripping from her words, Alori wouldn't be the one to trip in the puddle.

"That's a good question. You'll have to run it by Reeve, and Taelan too, I suppose, whenever he decides to pull his tail out from between his legs and emerge from hiding." His easy smile became more of a smirk. "If you don't mind, I have a question for you, too, princess... Do you dance like that every time you listen to our music, or was this a special circumstance?"

Alori glared fireballs at him. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I would. It was lovely."

The aura of triumph radiating from him was enough to boil her blood.

"Yes, it was. It was," Tomso crooned, his oblivious grin sliding from the princess down to Hamoni in the audience, where the marchioness was watching the onstage exchange with an air of amused interest. Her gaze alighted on the chubby conductor and his attention immediately returned to Alori, as if he'd been issued a command. He cleared phlegm from his throat. "Ahem. Your Highness, do you desire to hear the final trio, or-- ehmm--- am I correct in assuming we've already heard today's victor?"

Alori tried to ignore the thick beads of sweat running down her spine, but the thought of staying on the stage for another minute was far too overwhelming. "I'm feeling rather weary, actually. Would the three remaining players be too disappointed if I took my leave early? I should be able to hear them tomorrow morning."

Such poor form. Not only had she given a non-answer to Tomso's question, but on top of that it was rude and classless to leave the theater before the end of the show. It probably made her look spoiled and apathetic, but whatever that said about her she couldn't be persuaded to care. Not for the moment, anyhow. Her humiliation was still too fresh.

Where in the five hells had Taelan run off to?

"Of course you may retire, princess. Your health is what's most important." Tomso extended his reach to clap a hand on Yuka's loose white sleeve. "Mr. Ellis, would you kindly escort the princess back to her rooms? After that showing, I expect you two will have a lot to talk about."

Yuka glanced at her, raising his eyebrows. Was he waiting for her to agree?

Fine. She wouldn't make a scene. She thrust out her arm.

"Yes, I suppose Mr. Ellis and I do have things to discuss."

♪♫♪