Chapter Thirteen: Fires Burning in Empty Rooms

The Conservatory's massive double doors were already open when Alori and Taelan arrived at the front entrance, followed shortly by Yuka with his viola case tucked under his arm. The royal carriage was parked outside on the driveway. Alori's driver, Gadry, as well as Mr. Baejun and several stable-hands fussed about, preparing the vehicle for the trip.

Alori felt a twinge of guilt at having to alter their plans on short notice, but there was nothing to do for it.

"Princess, forgive me, but I don't want you embarrassing yourself." Yuka darted a meaningful look between her and Taelan. "It seems that in the heat of the moment– the very quick moment you two must have shared– you redressed in the wrong garments."

Alori slapped his arm. "Remember who you're talking to, bard." It was a joke. Mostly. "I'll have you know, these trousers were no accident. As it turns out, we won't have the luxury of a carriage ride to Ville-Tokki. We'll be taking the stags. I have it under good authority that Thelix compromised my magic this morning."

"Thelix did what?" another welcome voice said, entering the conversation.

Reeve stepped up beside Yuka, holding the handle of a wooden violin case identical to Taelan's. Like the rest of them, he was dressed for the elements, in a heavy winter coat and furry gray scarf.

Did he plan on joining them also?

"Among other things," Taelan said cryptically, "Thelix cornered Princess Alori in the hallway before breakfast."

"During the... altercation, my magic was silenced."

Alori hated to admit she was vulnerable. No one should have been able to steal her magic, yet it had happened and she had no idea how.

"When I realized what happened, I started to recall Thelix's odd behaviors." She dropped her voice, stepping farther into the ring they'd created by standing at each other's shoulders. The movement created an odd, although not unpleasant sensation in breeches stuffed into narrow women's boots. "Yesterday he insulted my patrollers on the borders, calling them useless. I didn't think much of it at the time, but what if it was a warning?" She gritted her teeth, then forced herself to relax, concentrating on the cool air drifting in through the open doors. "We need to get to Ville-Tokki as soon as possible. Thelix, or whomever he's working for, may already be there."

"You may be right, my lady." Reeve gripped the handle of his case so tightly his knuckles turned white. His brown eyes traveled around their circle as he spoke. "Thelix showed up late for Practical Theory, with a leaking bloody bandage on his nose. Professor Squall told him to get it taken care of before he bled all over the instruments. Thelix cursed and threw down his music stand, then stormed out saying something about knowing the best healer in town."

"And the best healer would be–"

"A mendmage," Alori and Yuka answered Taelan in unison.

Each of the five realms housed at least one mage who'd studied the mending arts, and Ville-Tokki was closest among them to the Conservatory.

"It's a starting point." Alori sighed, buttoning her borrowed wool pea coat. It smelled strongly of Taelan, though he claimed he'd outgrown it years ago. It was also a few sizes too big, but she wasn't going to complain. After the humiliation she'd suffered this morning, she needed all the comfort she could get.

The cozy scent of spice and fir trees enveloped her like a toasty hug whenever she moved.

"Reeve, are you free to come along with us?" She didn't want to assume the timid bard intended on accompanying them, just because he was dressed for the occasion and carrying an instrument.