Chapter Seven: A Snow-Dusted Dinner Date

The evening air was raw and calm on the front steps of the Conservatory. The weather had shifted over the course of the day, and now the darkening sky was shrouded in a blanket of grayish clouds. Snow from earlier in the week lingered on the shrubs that flanked the walkways, dusting the red winter berries poking out from between waxy green leaves.

Alori stood on the same plush runner carpet that had been rolled out when she'd first arrived, but this time Taelan stood beside her. Despite her concern that he might not want to see her again after the chaotic end to his performance, he'd been waiting in the front hall five minutes ahead of schedule and had greeted her with a warm smile. They were both dressed for the cold, Taelan in his wool coat and newsboy cap with the addition of a red knitted scarf tied around his neck. Alori wore a green velvet traveling dress, hooded black cloak, and matching fur muff.

She pulled her hand from the muff to brush a strand of hair from her eyes, watching as a groom clipped her stags to their leads at the front of the carriage. She hadn't realized they'd be leaving the Conservatory when Hamoni had first mentioned the dinner date she'd arranged, but Alori had since been informed that the marchioness had reserved the Ville-Tokki Inn's restaurant for the evening.

Alori was glad for the change in scenery, if a bit wary of the ride that was in store. The Conservatory was a beautiful building with respectable accommodations, but it was an elite musical academy at its core, not the most fitting location for a romantic dinner. On the other hand, Taelan was still such a mystery. She wondered what sort of thoughts were floating around in his head. Last night she'd decided that if he was serious about wanting to become the next bard prince he needed to open up to her, but now she was second guessing herself. Maybe she was expecting too much too soon.

"Do you want to be treated like a princess, or a woman?"

Yuka had made a fair point. Most of the bards were intimidated by her, although Taelan seemed to fit into that category only somewhat. He hadn't shied away from conversation, except when it came to his and Yuka's secrets. He'd even seemed to enjoy holding her hand. Was it because he felt the same inexplicable connection she did, like they'd known each other for years instead of days?

"I can put you on the right foot, but the rest is up to you."

Yuka had given more than a fair share of hints that she was on the right track. Taelan was the reason she'd come to the Conservatory earlier than required. He was the composer she'd been yearning to meet, she knew it in her bones. But would he be willing to admit it?

The carriage pulled around the driveway and up to the end of the carpet. Alori turned to ask Taelan if he was ready to proceed, but his hand was already curling around her elbow. She tilted her chin to acknowledge his courtesy, then forced her trembling legs to cooperate as they set off together down the lighted path.

"How do you do, Mr. Baejun?" Alori said kindly as they approached the coach door.

The friendly glimmer in the old footman's black eyes acknowledged her greeting in customary silence. This was the first time Alori had ridden anywhere with a suitor, and if the appraising look he turned on Taelan was any indication, that fact had not escaped Mr. Baejun's notice.

Alori sat down inside the coach and folded her hands in her lap. The leather benches were cool from a long day in the stables. Taelan ducked in after her and doffed his cap, his dark silhouette eclipsing the flickering lamplight outside.

"The ride won't be overly long, Your Highness, about three miles." The tip of Baejun's hooked nose was red from the cold, his breath clouding in front of the door as he closed it, leaving her alone with her raven-haired date.