Chapter Twenty-Six: A Good Reason

Food had no taste. Conversation drifted by, voices raised and lowered, deep and feminine tones, all of them familiar, but Alori didn't hear what they were saying. She stabbed at the meat on her plate until it fell apart, unable to take more than a few bites. 

The grandfather clock at the back of the dining hall chimed the hour. 

Taelan hadn't shown up for supper, but she would have been surprised if he'd come. 

At one point she'd caught Reeve eyeing her quizzically behind his wine goblet, but he'd looked away before she could chide him over his lack of manners; which was convenient, since she would have regretted snapping at him. Out of everyone, Reeve certainly didn't deserve her ire. 

She lingered at the table long after those who had stayed for dessert wandered off. Even the staff cleared out, pretending to ignore her uncharacteristic melancholy.

"Ali." 

A gloved hand came down on her forearm, dainty fingers twining around her wrist. 

"Ali?" The frustrated lilt in the speaker's voice hinted that this likely wasn't only the second time they'd called her name. "Alori Darosa Villenata, what in the five hells is the matter with you?"

Alori slowly swiveled her head toward the squawking voice. 

Liahfey stared down at her. The freckles on the bridge of her sister's nose stood out against her flushed skin. It was impressive that the second princess could look so effortlessly beautiful, even when she was red-in-the-face mad. 

"Oh, hello there. Do I finally have Her Majesty's attention?"

Alori shrugged.

"My goddess, something is seriously wrong, isn't it? Are you sure you're not still possessed by that demon?"

 Alori dropped her fork onto her plate with a loud clatter, backing out of her chair just as noisily. If her sister thought being funny would lighten the mood, she should have saved her breath. 

"Excuse me," Alori grumbled. "I'm going to bed."

"But it's still early." Liahfey glanced at the clock as if to confirm she hadn't been thrown into a time warp, winding up in an alternate reality with an alternate morose version of her older sister.

Seemingly satisfied that time and space were undisturbed, she turned back to Alori, leaning in close. "Where's Taelan? I noticed he didn't come to supper. Did you two have a fight? You've only just been affianced, Ali!" She raised a hand to the side of her mouth, whispering, "Father gave him the silver collar this afternoon. He didn't tell me, but I checked his cabinet. You know what I'm talking about, don't you? It was gone."

Taelan had the matrimonial collar? That meant her father had given him permission to accept her proposal. Taelan was supposed to fasten the engraved necklace around Alori's throat, as physical evidence of their engagement.

"Do you ever mind your own business Lia?" Alori huffed, straightening her corset and skirts. 

None of this was helping her headache.

"Minding my own business is boring." 

The air around her sister was sweet like sugared lemons. The scent followed Alori down the main corridor, all the way to the grand staircase. 

"It's boring when you're me, at any rate." Liahfey sighed dramatically. "I have nothing so interesting as a new lover and engagement. You're so lucky, Ali."

Alori swung around, nearly colliding with the enormous skirt of her sister's brightly colored taffeta gown. She didn't understand why Liahfey chose to wear shades and fabrics out of season so often, but her sister had never seemed to care about trifling things like tradition or what was deemed appropriate by royal standards. The second princess had become famous for her fashion trends, which meant that the frilly chartreuse confection presently exploding from her waist like a hurricane of spring leaves, would probably be next month's gown of choice throughout the court.