BOOK TWO ~SNEAK PEEK~

Liahfey Villenata, Second Princess of the Ville-Realms, slung the handles of her valise over her forearm and glanced one last time at her reflection in the oval standing mirror in the corner of her bedchamber. The deep peach color of her silk poplin gown was a bold choice for early spring, meant to compliment the budding moon cherry blossoms throughout the city and recall warmer days ahead. Her long, sandy brown hair was piled artfully atop her head, a few loose ringlets hanging down at random in a suggestion of casual elegance.

"Another famous ensemble in the making, Your Highness."

Her lady's maid grinned, holding out a pair of gloves some might call daring. They were a new style Liahfey had designed, with a scalloped edge that ended just past the wrists. Practical and fashionable for the impending warmer weather.

"I hope not, Arata." Liahfey slipped on the gloves while she walked to the door. "Too much of this color would turn anyone's stomach. It's only pleasant as a rare glimpse, sunset peach in a sea of shades frozen in winter."

"But you know what will happen when the court gets their eye on it."

"I know." Liahfey sighed. Everything she did, every step she took was scrutinized by nosy nobles with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do.

"Good luck, my lady."

Arata held the door open for Liahfey, and the two young women bade farewell to one another. Arata headed down the servant's staircase, while Liahfey stood in the corridor and stared at her sister's closed door across the hall.

It was quiet in Alori's apartments, which was both a relief and a curious surprise. Each morning for the past few weeks, Liahfey had been subjected to the amorous sounds of her sister's lovemaking. Why Alori had decided to spend her nights as a newlywed in her old rooms was anyone's guess. Maybe it was too uncomfortable in the marital suite, the apartments that used to be their parents'. The rooms had been redecorated for the new royal couple, but it was a strange tradition all the same.

Not that listening to her sister make love to her husband was less awkward.

Liahfey had considered asking Alori why she wasn't casting silencing shields over the room– a simple spell for the Shieldmaker– but then she would have to acknowledge the issue, which would be even more uncomfortable. Better to ignore the problem and hope it went away. 

Surely, the newlyweds wouldn't be so... spirited... forever.

Liahfey was happy for Alori, she really was. The burden her sister carried as the future queen of the Ville-Realms was immense. It had only been a couple of months since she'd almost died outsmarting a demon who'd possessed one of the bards at the Conservatory. Her sister had slit her own throat to ensure the magic flowing through her veins wouldn't end up in the wrong hands, and a powerful mendmage had brought Alori back from the brink of death in time to break the demon's curse.

Alori hadn't been the same since, but Prince Taelan was kind and gentle with her. Whenever Liahfey saw them together, she was awed by his attentiveness and affection. Clearly, that affection carried over to the bedroom.

Liahfey laughed to herself as she descended the grand staircase to the first floor of the palace. One day she hoped to find a man like Taelan. Not necessarily a bard, but someone kind and loving who would treat her like a princess, or rather, like his princess. It wouldn't hurt if he was a bit taller than Taelan, though; and now that she was thinking about it, Liahfey needed her husband to be more outspoken. Taelan was quiet and reserved, which worked for Alori, but Liahfey would never be queen, barring a tragic accident, which she hated to even think about. Whoever she ended up with would need to stand beside her in Alori's shadow, shoulder to shoulder, ready to take on all the courtly foes and detractors that came along with the more gregarious role of the Second Princess. A shy personality wouldn't do.