Chapter Ten: 'Goodnight, my prince...'

As it happened, luck was not on Alori's side that evening.

When she left her room before supper to seek out Taelan, Thelix was hovering near her door. His head turned as she stepped across the threshold, a surprised look on his face. But Alori doubted coincidence was behind his unexpected appearance.

She pulled up short, raising the hem of her gown so she wouldn't trip over her own feet. Thelix stared down at her, his face clean shaven, his mass of thick hair swept off his forehead with a greasy pomade. He closed the book in his hand and tucked it into a pocket inside his jacket.

"Hello," she said too quickly, holding her hands pressed together behind her back. She no longer contained the generosity of spirit to greet him in the customary effusive manner befitting her royal status.

It was one thing to commandeer her carriage ride-- at least this morning he'd had a plausible excuse. Now he'd sneaked up on her unannounced, acting as though their running into each other again was an accident. She couldn't prove he'd been waiting for her in the hall, but she trusted her instinct. She wanted nothing more to do with him.

"Good evening, Your Highness. It would seem serendipity has brought us together again." He bowed, offering her his arm. "Will you do me the honor of letting me escort you to the dining hall?"

Alori stiffened, staring at his dangling appendage. She was tempted to outright refuse him, but her sense of duty– and a frustrating dose of self-doubt– prevailed in the end.

With an inward sigh she accepted his arm, creating a careful amount of distance between them.

When this was all over, when she was back home, with Taelan as her bard prince, she'd never again allow herself to be cowed in such a way by a man. She didn't have to allow it now, but refusing Thelix's offer would stir up drama. Even if he neglected to reveal that she'd rebuffed him– and his pride might prevent him from doing so– he could spread lies of another sort. Alori knew his type well enough, and enduring a few minutes of discomfort now was preferable to days, weeks, or perhaps months of rumors following her once she returned to Ville-Saseum.

But after she was married no one would dare attempt to intimidate her, least of all a young bard with bulging, nervous eyes. Her strength and dignity would disavow people of the ability to diminish her autonomy, and if they tried, she'd have a capable husband standing beside her, supporting her every move.

Thelix's jittery eyes were on her as they walked, his steps slow and measured, more lackadaisical than her brisk, driving gait. "Your evening gown looks ravishing, my lady. Blue is a lovely color on you, but I'm sure you know that. A lady with sea-green eyes always looks her best in blues and greens."

Ravishing was the last word Alori preferred to hear out of the fool's mouth.

Had he never met a woman before? Did he not realize she wasn't interested?

"Thank you," she bit out through gritted teeth.

"Don't thank me." His wide grin revealed a gold-plated tooth at the back of his mouth. "Thank your father and dearly departed mother, who created one of the most beautiful creatures my eyes have had the pleasure of gazing upon."

Alori's jaw fell open, her eyes widening in shock. Had he really just called her a creature? She wouldn't pretend to act flattered, wouldn't even deign to reply.

It was a small blessing when they reached the dining hall, its glass and silver chandeliers coming into view around the bend in the main corridor, the doors standing open on either side of the wide, arched doorway. She dropped Thelix's arm and marched ahead, leaving him to toddle bewildered behind her.