Deal

I wasn't always enemies with Fate.When I was a very young girl she treated me with kindness and she also gave me advice. I don't remember all of them.Hatred makes us forget so there is nothing holding back our rage.

Despite that however there is something she once told me that I never forgot. Your enemies will not do anything that offends themselves. For many years I thought she was not telling me anything important,I didn't even know why I remembered it.

Now I know why. I let fear cloud my judgment when I should be focusing on my enemy's fear. Instead of seeing the desperation in my opponent's actions I only cared about how they affected my strategy.

We finally reached Haures's room. It seemed to me that it took ages to reach it. Funny how thinking changes our perception of time.

Haures was awake when we arrived. He seemed more curious than angry to see me.

-What's wrong,your Grace? Disappointed for having to cancel my funeral?

-If you have the energy to joke around that means you will be okay. Although I should be concerned about your perception of reality.

-This comes from a Queen who was seen visiting one of the Princes of her enemies. I would love to see you explaining this to the council.

-The world "enemies" redefined between us years ago. Are you sure you don't have amnesia?

-The fact I am still lying down and I haven't gotten up to smack you for making sarcastic comments should provide you with a clear answer.

Paimon hasn't spoken since we entered the room. He just stood there with a sceptical look on his face.

-Glad to see you both have the energy for light conversation. It seems I'm the only one who worries about the Dark Queen. This hospital is secluded but not isolated enough.

-You will leave me to handle the Dark Queen from now on.

Paimon looked at me with a confused look on his face.

-I thought that was your job all along.

-No,you misunderstood me. I mean no more hiding and no more running. It is highly possible that what has happened to Haures is the result of extreme stress. You will not return to the palace,of course, and you will stay in this small estate but there is no reason to play "hide and seek" anymore.

Suddenly Paimon's eyes filled with disbelief and a hint of anger.

-So what happened all of sudden,Eve? Because the way I see it there are two possible scenarios. Either you acquired some new information that will allow you to corner the Dark Queen or you discovered a better way to use the information you already have in your disposal. Either way you owe us some explanations.

-Leave her be Paimon.

I must admit Haures defending me was one of the things I thought I would never live.

-I may doubt her intelligence and her resourcefulness but I know that I know she fears universal imbalance. She would never toy with it. Also,she is usually quite talkative. If she chooses to withdraw information she must have a very good reason.I made the unwilling decision to trust her and I must admit,with a heavy heart,that until now I haven't found a reason to question that trust.

I didn't know if I should feel insulted or honored by that speech. I chose the second for the sake of maintaining the peaceful atmosphere inside this room.

-Thank you,Haures,for your kind words. You should rest now. Johanna, can I have a private word with you outside?

-What seems to be the matter,your Grace? she asked when we were in the corridor.