Chapter 9

Most people wouldn't be happy having to tell on people, whether that is a person in authority, or someone that they may be friendly with, but I had no aversions with anyone. Especially when it meant I was practically obligated to tell the truth. I have too admit, I didn't have the calmest head while I was locked in that room, thankfully, I do not believe i was in their for so long before matron did eventually find me.
There was no warning when she burst into the room. She saw me hunched up in the corner, eyes darting around trying to make sense of the surroundings I could barely see.
"This is a sight I never thought I'd see! I'm hoping very much you tell me wat a big accident all this is and have a reasonable excuse as to what happened. Maud Cinius... explain to me now"
I didn't even panic to the raised tone that Matron held, knowing that she would be on my side,especially if she had to speak to Horrible Matron to get all the facts correct. Then again, I thought the same thing when I handed the note to Matron Bromicker and she instantly thought I was lying.
"Matron Bromicker thought i was lying about the note you wrote me to excuse me from the beginning of the class," I shuddered, reliving it. "She threw me in here saying I was the worst she has ever come across, and that she would report me to you as soon as she could." I lifted my head slightly up and Matron darted towards me, bundled me in her arms and pulled me, looking like a large mess out of the room.
"Matron, you have to believe me don't you? Please, I implore you to speak to Matron Bromicker!" I wasn't shouting in the sense that it was directed negatively towards Matron Clarice, i was simply just scared that she wouldn't take me seriously. Even though there was no denying I was her favourite, I see how she is with the other foundlings who really are not her favourite.
"Shush, child. I do not want to speak, you or I, until we have Matron Bromicker's voice on the subject. Then we will sort this terror situation out" I daren't speak. Not only as of the direction, but I couldn't tarnish my reputation anymore. I needed to come to mind of the fact this could go any way - Matron could end up believing her, that I am a child... devil. Of course I know she did write the note, but that doesn't excuse me from the behaviour which was all solely on my part. I could tell Matron was conflicted with her emotions, channeling her anger in unfamiliar ways, escorting me at some points and boredline dragging me at the next. She had to believe me, because she knew in her mind she has written that note. On the other hand, I expect her experiences with the punishment cupboard all end with shunning a fellow foundling into misery at the disobedience they have caused.

We were now half stumbling down the corridor to the kitchen, where Matron Bromicker could be found, hopefully still finishing up the lesson I was scheduled to be in. I knew I hadn't been in there for any significant amount of time at all. I guess word travels fast around the foundling hospital.
Matron Clarice practically tore the door to the kitchen down. Foundlings were washing their hands and placing their used aprons into the wash basket for cleaning, Matron Bromicker slyly pacing along the food samples, inspecting whether they seemed edible or not. She darted around as soon as she heard the demanding voice of her superior.
"Matron Bromicker, successful class?", it was a rhetorical question, "I see that you've put one of my best foundlings in the room where, not rising star should be... and I demand to know why" this was not a question at all.
"Matron Clarice, you found this devil child, did you? You won't be idolising her when you know what she has done! THIS! Look at THIS!" she reaches in her pocket and immediately pulls out the sighted letter excusing me from the six minutes of class that i missed, singed by Matron Clarice herself. I felt quite smug on the inside, but after a lot of practice I knew how to keep face when I knew it was inappropriate to show it.
yes... I am failing to see the problem with this letter Matron? Did i spell my name wrong, perhaps I need a new signature?..." I see that Matron Clarice herself had decided to go for a smug approach herself, and I wanted to join myself but I thought it best to leave it up to the experts. Bromicker was stumbling slighly over her words, but managed a slightly dignified reply.
"the problem? This is obviously forged and I don't know why you are not acting upon this disobedience! Please tell me you didn't write this, Clarice? It looks nothing like your copperplate text. Nothing!"
Matron had let go of me now, I was standing to what seemed like quite a spare part. They had locked eyes with each other, and it was like a showdown, the kind the rich get to see on a good summers day.
"copperplate? It's a note, Julie" first naming a Matron purposefully in front of a foundling was quite a form of disrespect, "why would I use my best handwriting? You know my signature, so let not play around. Why are you picking on Cinius here?"
"she was LATE to my lesson! Then, I gave her a direct instruction which she blatantly ignored. She's trouble all over Clarice, just you wait until they start showing you their full colours, they never stay sweet and loyal forever. Once they get to their placements they will be most awful and tried to send back to us, even though we are aware of the scum-"
"JULIE!" everybody fell silent at Matrons bellowing of this. She was in serious trouble. Matron cleared her throat. "I'm sorry... but I need you to follow me please. Foundlings. Clear up in the way you have been instructed. Leave the food on the trays to cool, the late kitchen Matron's will be in soon to deal with it appropriately. I need to take Bromicker somewhere to have a quiet word with her for now" we were all staring in quiet disbelief. "i said NOW" she clapped her hands and urged. "Maud, this will not be held against you. You may leave, since this is not your mess. Thank you for remaining calm. I will see you soon'.
Both Matron's walked out, one with her head held high, the other, with a look of embarrassment, shame, and slight anger. I hope she gets what she deserves.