Chapter 1

Ever since we were small, at that tiny Foster Home, we were taught to love the people around us. Except our mothers. They had abandoned us at birth at the Foundling Hospital because they didn't want us.

Reading about my Foundling life so far might not interest you, but let me tell you, there is more to me than this brown, itchy uniform and dusty white cap, even though I don't even know it yet.
My dream might be to be the best I can while at the Hospital and becoming a very efficient servant in a rich Manor House, but these days, this is the furthest many of our dreams as young Foundling girls ever go.
At this time I aspired to be the best child I could because I didn't know what my life could've been like if I was not a foundling child. I found this route of life fascinating, thinking I was special. I was always told I would be treated nice if I treated other people nice. With some people this didn't go as I planned it. But I still got through.

Ever since I was a baby, I have been quiet, polite, and kept myself to myself, because this is how all us Foundling children are taught. I aspire to be the best at the Hospital, so to start off my good reputation I must be a star at my temporary Foster Home. My guardian, Margaret Jeanine, was the mother that anyone could wish for. She kept her children in order, strict and safe, no messing. Bedtime rules, the baby children going half an hour earlier (7:00pm) than the older children. No playing outside for over forty minutes a day, and chores lists for every day. I wasn't close at all to any of my foster brothers or sisters. They lacked in their chores, broke the rules, and sometimes even disrespected Margaret! When I was the age of five and due to be returning to the Foundling Hospital, I was delighted but hoped that it would be as organised as my First Home with Margaret. I gave her a last embrace as I hopped into the carriage with Matron Clarice, the head Matron who I didn't know, but about mid thirties, blonde hair with light grey streaks that were hardly noticeable, and a bit of a wrinkly forehead from frowning. When Margaret had told her how delightful I had been in her home, she didn't smile, but looked quite smug and shocked as if she was trying, but mostly failing, trying to tell her through her expression that all of the Foundling young acted like that, and not despicably like the others did. I was proud, and Matron was secretly pleased with me.
"For a small child, you are very intelligent and polite. We could teach the other Foundling disgraces a thing or two by showing them your impeccable behaviour. Well done." She looked at me slowly and nodded, and I nodded back. I turned to look out of the window and I smirked at myself, knowing I would be the best Foundling child there is.
This, is only the beginning of my story and true self.