Chapter 2

We arrived at the Hospital, and the first thing I noticed was it had very large gates surrounding the building. This immediately got me wondering (a vice, I know,) if any of the children who were already homed in this wonderful place ever tried to escape? Although this notion seemed far fetched... why would anyone want to leave? Nutritious food, a roof over their head, the specialised training received to venture on and become the hands for the Manor people. An honour of few. Nevertheless, we entered, and there was a Nurse stood looking fierce with a tub ready and a basket beside it. Matron whispered something to this stern looking Nurse something that sounded like-
"Be nice with this one. She's something special, proud to be a Foundling and well-behaved. Whatever token she has, let her keep. She deserves it." The Matron look back, smiled very faintly, and sauntered off. I was surprised. Then again, I had no token from my mother at birth. I didn't want one, she abandoned me. Left me here. Luckily, this is right where I want to be. I have a token that Margaret got me from her day out shopping one week- it was a small length of yellow ribbon with my name 'Maud Cinius' embroidered into it with red.
"Well, the Matron tells me your a good egg. We don't get many like you. Quiet, abide the rule of 'children must be seen and not heard'. That's what I like to hear," she ruffled my messy, black hair placed on top of my pale skin, and I looked at her proud through my glasses which were too big for my small childish face.
"Even with an exception like you, we will have to get rid of this mop, we can't have you coming in with anything that the other disgraceful children have like mites." I was not a massive fan of this idea, I think the effect of my black hair on my pail thin made me looked like a ghost, so I didn't seem too approachable to the other children I didn't want mauling me, but my hair was a part of me. Margaret used to do it in two plaits for me. Finally, I agreed. If I was going to be the best, then I will have to abide by the rules, no matter how scary or strange they might be to me.
"Of course, Nurse." I said back simply, even though all my thoughts were still floating around dreamily in my head.
"Good child." She responded.
After that, I was bathed, and given a uniform of brown, with a white cap. My hair was gone, but I didn't complain once. That's how we were taught.
                       * * * * *
After being stripped and re-invented, the Matron gave me a small overview of what was where in the Hospital and go over rules with me.
"Not like I need to!" She exclaimed proudly. "I hope you do not mind me using you as a gracious example of how all the other Foundlings should be behaving. We have another one similar to you, but male. Edward Hobbs, strong, well behaved young man. He has had a great impact upon the disgraceful boys. We have made him a leader figure, he has great responsibility and lives up to it. I trust you will do the same. I might even introduce him to you, even though it is wrong for young genders to converse. I think he could give you some tips though." She ruffled her dress a bit to make it look presentable, and winked at me lightly. As she knocked on the door three times with the knocker, she whispered,
"Be on your best behaviour now, child. I am going to introduce you to the woman who is the Foundling governor. A very powerful and great lady. I rarely do this, but she might think that if a child like you is in this institution, it will rub off on the other disgraces that we haven't introduced her to because they are so disgraceful" She faced towards the door again, which had a faint rustling behind it.
"I agree. You cannot risk the reputation of this wonderful hospital just for a few incapable children that think they are higher than the rules that keep them safe." I responded, as she nodded and placed a hand on my back. Finally, the lady opened her great green-brown door, and a tall lady in a very fancy dress appeared- it must have cost many shillings.
"Arabella! Your back, it's nice to see you on your feet again after that bad bout of influenza floating around. My husband caught it too, it's awful isn't it?" She looked relived and gave Matron Clarice a small pat and then withdrew her hand from the smart dress.
"Matron Clarice in front of the Foundlings I think please ma'am, and thank you, I feel much better-"
"Yes, why is that Foundling here Matron, you rarely introduce me to any of these poor childs. She looks underfed." She interrupted, and Matron Clarice looked a bit affronted, but the lady was oblivious to this.
"Excuse me miss, may I speak?" I asked in a polite, small voice.
"Of course, go ahead." She replied.
"My name is Maud Cinius, and first I would like to comment on how nice you look. Secondly, you made a grammatical error. You should of said 'poor children' not 'childs'. My last point is that I was very well fed I think, at the home with my foster mother Margaret ma'am. Breakfast and tea, plus a pudding on Sundays! It was splendid." I thought of the lovely roast dinners Margaret's husband Henry used to cook for us. It made my mouth water just imagining it.
"Thank you, I am really fond of this dress, and you are correct, it is 'children', my mistake. Just make sure you get to all your meals, you should be ship shape in no time. Thank you for coming to see me, I must really get back to work now. Foundling Ebony Night has broken her arm and I have to persuade people it was not the Hospitals fault, which it was not, of course, without a doubt... no thought. I hope you have a nice first day, Maud. Remember to eat and keep your head down, for the good of yourself, the others around you, and your future away from the Hospital. Goodbye, Matron."

Matron then showed me to the girls dormitory's. Only one small girl was in there, chucking her sheets on her small bed around.
"Mary-Anne! What on Earth are you doing here right now? You're supposed to be in sowing class. Get back now please." She looked sternly into the girls grey watery eyes as she spoke.
"Matron Hatty sent me to find my best sowing works. I can't find them, and I was going to show the class because she said they were and excellent piece-"
"Mary-Anne! I did NOT ask for your life story, not that you have had one yet. I said, 'go back to your sowing class' not 'tell me a sad little Foundling story.' I will also be checking with Matron Hatty why she sent you unescorted. It bothers me, because most of you small children should not be trusted in my opinion." She cast her hazel, tired eyes over the slouched girl while she walked miserably out, leaving the door slightly open.
"Sorry about that interruption. There is many children like her here unfortunately, but I will be counting on you to make a gracious role model for the challenging ones. I'd make sure to choose your friends wisely." She simply nodded and led me down a small pathway between perfectly made beds to one that had currently no sheets on at all.
"This will be your bed. You will collect the sheets in a moment and show me how you arrange them. There is a little hole in your pillow that I thought you could hide your trinket so none of the other girls get jealous and accuse me on having favourites." She checked her watch and looked out of a window. "My gosh, it is already time for supper. We will have to leave your sheets until we get back from eating. I will escort you to the dining hall." We walked out of the dormitory and entered into a big hall smelling of... nothing much. It didn't look much either... but I was grateful. Gruel and water, so actually not as bad as I thought. Some children get nothing. They would be much more comfortable at the hospital. Getting to help out and having a future career in waiting services for a Manor House is my best aspiration. I sit down next to a short blonde hair girl, what I think to be a terrible colour, but I give her the benefit of the doubt. She must have only been here a while before me because her hair was only as long as her tiny ears, as my hair is fully down to my scalp, just a black dust that seemed to be resting atop of my head.
"Hello, you must be new, and I only know because I am not familiar with your face, and your hair looks like dust resting atop your head." She said in a friendly voice, holding out her hand. I shook it timidly and responded,
"That is exactly what I thought, if I am being truthful. My name is Maud Cinius. You are...?"
"Mabel Williams. How are you finding your first day? My first day was horrible. They shaved off my curly blonde hair, said it was to vibrant for a 'little slave girl'. That's all we are really. Slaves for the Hospital, to keep them in business and earning their money. Then we go into other slave jobs for posh 'snobs'. I came up with that word. Everybody says it now that disagrees with the system. We all believe that our mothers wanted us. What is your opinion?" She looked puzzled at the shock on my face.
"I will answer all your questions, but I must say I throughly disagree with all the statements you just made. My first day was spectacular. Matron Clarice is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Shaving my hair wasn't bad, even though I looked like a ghost with my black hair, which I was fond of. I think blonde hair is terrible also, and I do not believe for a second that the great Matrons called you a 'little slave girl'. If you are not careful, I will tell for you being an insolent child. The ignorance! Also, the possibility of going into a Manor House is a great opportunity! You must be a bit delusional not to see it, it's a brilliant opportunity handed to you at the end of your time here. I agree with the system to full extent, and I know that our mothers never truly loved us. We were abandoned, but the Hospital and our foster mothers are great to raise us. I thought you seemed like a decent Foundling. I was obviously was wrong. Good day."I concluded, and raised out of my seat, leaving her in a state of shock and what looked like disgust. I went to Matron Clarice and told her about the insolence of Mabel Williams.
"Remember I told you to chose your friends wisely, child?" She implored.
"I do, and intend to keep to it because she truly seemed like a vile figure. I will have to have an influence upon her." I said responsibly.
Matron nodded her head and I left her to that, and went to sit by myself in a corner to finish my gruel and water for the time being.