❄️ Chapter 22 ❄️

Thunder rumbled through the thick, black clouds as the lightning traced their way through the rain as it showered down unrelentingly upon the village of Konohagakure. It had been a gloomy day for everyone in the village. There seemed like there was nothing joyful to partake in that day, even the academy students had come home all despondent. It had been a rain that was long coming. Yet for Yumetsuki, the entire week had been like that.

It had all started when Shisui had arrived unexpectedly at her home without no prior notice. It had been late in the evening just as Yumetsuki had finished with dinner and set Naruto to bed. Rain had graced them that day as well yet it had not been as heavy as the look in Shisui's deep, dark eyes. He had stepped in through the veranda and not from the front door.

Shisui had not even allowed her to stand up when the fourteen-year-old had leaned against her body it was far from his usual behaviour but Yumetsuki had known at once: his body was heavy with exhaustion and burning with the fever he was acquiring.

Although he was taller and bigger than her, Shisui set his head against her shoulder like a young boy, curling his body around in her direction as if she was beacon that he needed to reach.

"Yumeko-Chan," Shisui muttered as let out a long, deep breath and closed his eyes. "Sorry for coming by so unexpectedly... I didn't mean to disturb you..."

"It is alright, Shisui-Kun," Yumetsuki said, although she was bubbling with concern for him, she held herself calm. "However, would you like to share what ails you? I have never seen you like this,"

For a moment, it was quiet between the two of them and Yumetsuki noted that Shisui was really out of it because he didn't use that she was using her Medical Ninjutsu on him to treat him for the fever that he was running. Then, with his eyes still closed, he decided to speak.

"Life is so hard, isn't it, Yumeko-Chan?" Shisui asked in a small voice, and that broke Yumetsuki's heart, knowing that someone so young was suffering like this. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have, you have suffered –"

"No," Yumetsuki interjected softly. "What I have gone through does not undermine what you feel, Shisui-Kun," She bit her lower lip. "Are you... concerned about your father?"

During the last Great War, Shisui's father had lost a leg. And in his stubbornness, he had not gotten it checked out until it had deteriorated to a degree that it would never fully heal. Even now, he would react negatively if someone suggested that he got himself medically checked.

Ever since that, and given that his mother was only a housewife, Shisui had taken up the role as the sole breadwinner of his little family. He had mentioned that once cheerfully but he was not so now.

In fact, over the months, Shisui had begun to grow more and more exhausted. Yumetsuki had freed him from her tutelage but he visited her often – and every time, he appeared more and more so.

"He's completely bedridden now," Shisui spoke with a sigh. "And he's gotten a lot weaker lately..." His soft features twisted slightly. "He's also stopped recognising who I am,"

"Would you like me to check on his health for you?" Yumetsuki asked, looking at him with a frown. "If he refuses to visit the hospital, I can make a house-call for him,"

"I'll ask him, though I'm not sure if you should visit the compound," Shisui said, which was strange.

"Is there something the matter?" Yumetsuki inquired curiously.

"No, I'm just trying to get myself ready for it," Shisui said, and it felt like he was changing the subject. "I mean, everyone dies someday... I want to be ready and be strong when the day comes for him,"