❄️ Chapter 29 ❄️

Everything was quiet at her home – where it had been deathly at the Uchiha Clan, it was entirely peaceful here. None of her Summons bothered her as Yumetsuki set the food in the fridge and went to check on Naruto. He was still asleep, sprawled out on the bed and the sight of him sleeping sent the image of Sasuke in her. He had been sprawled out like that, too, covered in tears and scratches.

Yumetsuki sat in the shower for a very long time, her head set against her knees as she thought about everything that had happened. The sun was heading higher and higher into the sky – a shard of hot summer sunlight hit her head from the open tsukiage-mago in the ceiling.

Naruto was still sleeping even after Yumetsuki had finished showering and changing into clean clothes. She fixed the sleeping boy's posture, tucking him under the summer blanket. She did not want to leave him alone, she felt as if he would vanish if she took her eyes off of him. She laid down on top of the blanket, hugging her godson close to herself as she fell asleep.

When Yumetsuki had woken up again, she found that Naruto was not with her. She tore off the bed in a panic, unable to fathom why him moving out of her arms had not woken her up or why none of her Summons had woken her up. She quite practically flew down the stairs and her Sensor burst through her to locate where he had gone – only to find him in the living room with her Summons.

Blissfully unaware of what he had put her through just now, Naruto was happily munching on the sweets that Yumetsuki had bought home. When his eyes fell onto her with her over-the-top entrance as she came thundering down, he eagerly waved at her with his –

"Meiko-Chan! Good afternoon!"

Torrent of relief rushed through Yumetsuki and she stumbled over to him as if she was drunk, throwing her arms around him tightly and taking his tiny body down with her as she fell against the softness of the carpet. Naruto tumbled with her, unable to free himself from her caged arms.

"Meiko-Chan!" exclaimed Naruto, letting out giggles as they fell together. "Meiko-Chan, you feel so cold!" He still nuzzled closer to her. "Meiko-Chan... are you still tired?"

"A little bit," Yumetsuki mumbled truthfully as she laid there, having no desire to move as long as Naruto was safe and sound in her arms. "No... really... I am so tired... Naruto-Chan..."

"I'll make food for you, dattebayo!" Naruto announced as he slithered out of her arms. "Meiko-Chan, you should sleep! I'll go and make food for you!"

"What will you make for me, Naruto-Chan?" Yumetsuki asked as she turned her head to look at him. "Just come and lay with me... I will make dinner in a little while,"

"No, I want to make you something!" Naruto insisted. "I'll go get Ramen for us, dattebayo!"

"That is not quite cooking..." Yumetsuki trailed off before sighing. "I do not want you to go out by yourself today, Naruto-Chan, and I am too tired to do it... it looks like it will rain in a while, too..."

"I'll go with Amaterasu-San!" Naruto assured her. "Meiko-Chan, please!"

In an effort to convince his godmother of his sincerity, Naruto held out one of the Dango sticks to her to take a bite since he knew she loved sweets, and then patted her head and pressed a quick peck against her cool skin, "I'll get Meiko-Chan's favourite Ramen!"

"Rest, Yumetsuki," Amaterasu told her. "I will go with him – nothing will happen to him in my presence. We will fetch the Ramen and return home as soon as possible,"

"And I'll protect you while they're gone," Raijin said at once, jumping up to walk up to her, his wolfish looks betraying his sly nature. "Nothing will happen to you in my presence,"