❄️ Chapter 24 ❄️

The impromptu ANBU mission ended for Yumetsuki the following morning when they arrived in Konohagakure but all throughout their remaining journey back, she had noticed that Kakashi was extraordinarily tired – which she could blame on the fact that he had not woken anyone up for the nightly duty and not even Yumetsuki, who had slept curled up in his arms the entire night through.

"It was a long mission," Yumetsuki said as she turned around the moment that they entered the village gates to look at the three males with her. "I will head forward to the Hokage to debrief him about the situation. The rest of you may head home for rest," She glanced at Kakashi pointedly at it.

"Alright, alright," Kakashi said, holding his hands up and smiling at her. "You're the boss of me, Yuren-Chan, I'll trust you to take it to Hokage-Sama. Let me know what he says, right?"

"Of course," Yumetsuki replied. "I will do that... I am sure that Hokage-Sama is aware of what happened in the Land of Frost with the letter we sent ahead of us,"

"You're always so diligent, aren't you, Yuren-Chan?" Kakashi asked with a smile that was apparent even through the mask that he wore.

Itachi looked at the pair of them curiously as they interacted with each other, especially the sight he thought he had initially believed to be a dream had turned out to be reality when he found his squad leader and Yumetsuki together. He had questioned himself throughout the journey if they were...

Shaking his head, Itachi put the thought out of his head. Yet he wondered if Yumetsuki would admit it if he asked. And he wondered what that name meant, Yuren-Chan, and why Kakashi used it.

"Yes, I will go home, too," Itachi said when Yumetsuki looked toward him, even though he wished that he would have gotten the chance to be alone with her.

There was a lot that Itachi still wanted to talk to Yumetsuki about – their conversation was still wide open. She appeared, to him, the only person that he could talk to and not feel judged. This level of freedom was terrifying for Itachi, who had never felt this way even with Shisui.

Of course, there were things that he could not even tell her, like the way the Uchiha's dislike for Konohagakure was increasing day by day and the secret meetings being held. But Itachi felt like he and Yumetsuki could relate to each other – they had the same set of ideals.

"I will come with you," Sugaru said, diverting from the other two, who both found their expressions stilling at the thought of the Aburame male going with Yumetsuki. "I have to discuss something,"

Yumetsuki seemed unfazed, however, as she nodded at Sugaru before the two of them set off toward the direction of the Hokage's Office, leaving Kakashi and Itachi to head to their homes. Sugaru did not say anything even as they reached the office nor as Yumetsuki debriefed Hiruzen.

"I see, I received your letter in regards to the situation," Hiruzen said as he locked his hands together. "Things will continue to escalate. I want you to handle the rest, Yumeko-Kun, as the surrounding lands begin to interfere,"

"Yes, Sensei," Yumetsuki replied, bowing deeply, knowing that she will have to make several out-of-country visits by herself and with Hiruzen. "I work to the best of my ability,"

"Would it wise to give all this work to Yuki-San?" spoke up Sugaru at last, catching their attention, utilising his insect-based voice to speak.

"Of course," Hiruzen responded. Yumetsuki remained silent. "Yumeko-Kun here is very well-versed in politics and has brilliant grasp and years of experience in handling important assignments,"

"What I mean is that Yuki-San here has herself caused a lot of trouble," Sugaru said. "Being from Kirigakure, is there ever a chance that those from the North have not come barrelling for her?"