To Have and To Hold

Alara

"You look beautiful," Kira breathed out softly when she was done applying makeup to my face, another thing I didn't have much choice in, Mr Grayson had chosen everything and I knew it was a means of showing who was in control. It irked me that I couldn't even choose which shade of blush I was going to wear on my damn wedding day, and what made my blood boil the most was the particular shade of red he had forced me to wear.

It looked like I had feasted on someone's flesh and let the blood trickle down to my lips and smeared it there, it wasn't the brightest red, it was deeper in colour, the colour of dried blood but still shimmering, half wet and gleaming in the iridescent lighting. 

Kira was right, in ways I did look beautiful but I didn't look like myself, I was done up beyond belief, a porcelain doll painted to perfection.

And I hated it.

But there was no denying, that if this had been on anyone else it would be the picture of elegance and grace, any normal bride would be thrilled at the precise makeup, interwoven lace gown with what seemed like a million diamonds glittering on the bodice and trail.

And then there was the diadem, the only thing I had yet to pull on, the only thing with a bit of colour other than my lips, in the middle of the crown was a deep dark ruby, a substitute for where the real Blood Diamond should go, it was a farce more than anything, I was a puppet to be pulled and marionetted by the whims of Carlisle Grayson. 

I really, really wanted to stab that man and then paint my lips with real blood, this room being confined to it had made me even more murderous than ususal.

Kira stood back a soft smile on her heart shaped face, she seemed to have a lot of fun with the makeup though she was on strict instructions from Cameron's father, she babbled to me about how much she loved makeup and how she dreamed to be a makeup artist. 

I had laughed with her, pressing some of the highlight onto her cheekbones so she glowed even more than she normally did. 

"It's the only real thing he lets me do," she admitted whilst she was doing the final touches of my makeup, "He find it useful, someone who can do that sort of stuff, presents me as a gift to wealthy clients, who find it absolutely adorable that a little girl would be doing their makeup, and then their even more surprised when I turn out to be quite good at it, Mr Grayson like that I surprise them, it makes him look better, and to them he looks like a kind benefacactor, which is why they fall for all his schemes, he can charm a room, convine anyonne that he's the good guy. But he's awful he's only ever barely civil to me when we are in company any other time well..." Kira trailed off her gaze going a little hollow and dazed, I watched as she pulled her lower lip into her mouth by her teeth chewing so hard she almost drew blood, "It's never mind,"

"It's ok if you don't want to talk about it," I whispered softly caressing her hair a little and brushing it out of her beautifully cruved eyes, "But if you ever do, I'm here for you,"

She smiled softly once more, "I know," before she packed up the makeup and folded the torn clothes I had been brought here in. I stopped her when she reached Cameron's hoodie, I took it in my arms and inhaled the scenct of it, peppermint, smoke and an earthy sort of cinnamon, it smelt like home. 

I must have looked crazed to Kira but she didn't comment on it, she just allowed that slip of a smile remain on her lips. 

She seemed content with my company, happy to escape the reality of what  was left outside. 

That contentment was shattered the moment the door swung open. The metal clattered against the adjacent wall violently leaving a distincive crash in its wake and in strode in none other than Mr Grayson.