Something Blue

Alara

After freeing myself from the cuffs, I kept them close, knowing that I would still have to pretend that I was confined to them.

My heart soared when I realised that Kira had left all the makeup behind, with all it's little tools, sharp tools.

There was a nail kit that I grasped onto, and there shining like a pearl from an oyster was a pair of finely cut nail scissors with sharp points. They were small, but could be deadly, if I aimed right. I was running out of time, Mr Grayson would be back soon and I would be escorted out, given like a sacrificial lamb for the Vipers to feast on and to do whatever they willed.

I slipped the nail scissors beneath my dress, partially cutting into one of the many underskirts to fasten it close enough that I could reach it but concealed enough that no one would guess I was armed.

I could hear footsteps echoing towards my prison of a room, I kicked the nail kit and other makeup behind me, so it didn't look like it had been tampered with just merely cast off to the side after it had been used. For extra measure, I stood in front of it. 

The door opened softly this time, and in stepped a person I wasn't expecting, she slipped through the door, gently closing it behind her. 

It was Cameron's mother, Mara Grayson, and she looked completely torn apart. 

She was wearing an elegant dress, the exact colour of a Viper's venom, green beyond believe with a high neckline, and diamonds glittering down the bodies, but with all the opulence and grace there was no happiness.

Tears were streaming down her face, and she looked utterly distraught, without a word she rushed over to me, engulfing me into a hug, and I could feel her sobbing.

This beautiful woman, who looked immaculate was crumbling in my arms, shattering into a million pieces and I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to do. Or why she was so upset.

"Alara, dear, I'm so sorry, I'm so so, sorry," she rushed out pulling back and meeting me with her soft blue eyes, her light blond hair whispering into my ears as she pulled back, "I never wanted this to happen. That wretched man, my husband, he has gone too far this time. You my dear," she brushed a hand over my face and I realised a tear had fallen from my eye, and I was crying too, I was crying to a mother I didn't know I needed, I wanted to hug my own mother, I remembered how against this she was. She was just as distressed as Cameron's mother was now, and I would give anything to speak to her. She would understand, and it seemed that Cameron's mother understood too.

"It wasn't supposed to be like this, I was so happy when Cameron started to warm to you, started to fall for you. The brightness that had been stolen from him as a child was finally back. You had brought that back in him, and I will forever be grateful. But now," her voice broke, and unfurled itself into layers I had never imagined were real before, "Now, he will destroy it again. He cannot stand the fact that my son has the capability to love. He wanted to drown that side of him, wanted him to be just like him. Unfeeling, a monster, only marrying you for the power that it would give him. He was proud when he saw the way he first treated you, with the hatred or indifference he wished for Cameron to have towards you. But as always you defied the odds," she cupped my cheek with a warm comforting palm, and smiled weakly, her lips pressing into a smile I knew was genuine but still hurt her to give, "You did the impossible, you made him love again and Carlisle, wants to taint that, make the memory of your marriage an awful one. Destroy your love from the inside out until there is nothing left, but I cannot let that happen."

She pulled something out from her purse. And I was unsure of what it was at first all I knew was that it was a dark navy blue, it was only when she pulled it out fully was that I realised what it was. 

It was a gun.

I must have audibly gasped because Cameron's mother lightly pressed my mouth closed, "Be careful child, I do not know who is listening at what time, though I do know exactly where all the camera's are at this angle, no one can see what I am handing you,"

I nodded silently, afraid to even speak encase I tipped someone off with what was happening.

It was a pistol and it wasn't too heavy, it was metallic sheen to it, it had the initials M.R.C, engraved into it, "My father gave it to me, the day of my wedding," she let out a sigh a painful one, "He told me, that if Carlisle ever did anything to hurt me, to shoot him straight in the head, or if I really wanted it to hurt, in the heart,"

"I-" I think I lost the ability to speak, but I didn't need to say anything more. 

"I've never thought to use it until now, Alara, dear, you need to use it for me, for Cameron, you need to break us out of this hell. And as the saying goes, Something old," she pressed a hand to her chest, "Something new," she placed a hand lightly onto my chest where my heart was pulsating, it felt like it was going to burst through my chest, right into her hands and part of me believed it would be safer there, in warm aged hands that had cradled Cameron when he was still young nurtured him into the man he was today, and what a damn good job she had done, "And something blue," and as she hugged me one more time, I felt her slip the gun, through the back of the dress, pulling the zipper down slightly and slipping it between the strap of my bra and vest, so it was secured just under my arm.

"Just reach behind you when you need it most," she whispered, "And aim for the heart."

I nodded swallowing the lump that had formed in my throat, I felt my hand become clammy and my eyes heavy with tears.

"Don't cry now dear, a beautiful face like yours's isn't meant for tears, " and she wiped them softly and put on the most dazzling smile, and in a louder tone she added, "I can't wait for you to marry my son,"

I was taken aback, until I realised she was speaking for the sake of the microphones, she was playing the role of doting mother-in-law and watching the way she was able to switch persona's I realised how often she had had to pretend, to toughen her skin and smile through pain.

And in that moment, to me she was the strongest woman of all.