All that glitters

Alara

Being with Isobel and Kira, and getting to know the young girls better was a privilege I never wanted to lose.

We stood in Isobel's room, it was large but homely with paintings and drawings of all the places she had been and wanted to go peppered over the pale mint green walls. Her dresser was huge, with a mirror that shone brighter than the stars, thick and somehow making us all look that much better.

"I'm so happy you can come, Kira," Isobel rambled as she pulled a brush through Kira's pin-straight black hair. She donned a dress given to her by Isobel, a sparking gown that was the lightest of pinks that in some lighting you could have sworn was white.

Isobel on the other hand took the complete opposite route, a lethal black dress that curved against her, the material looking like an oil spill that undulated and caught the light, classy and accentuating her features. From what I knew, Isobel was 16 and Kira was 15, they were both in that age of life of exploration finding your style, in some cases knowing you would regret an outfit, years down the line, but with her fashion sense, I thought that would be a rarity for Isobel Torres.

"You look, wonderful guys," I gushed wanting to hug them both but thinking better of it, neither of them knew me too well, but it was crazy to think I had a sister. It had always been Theo and me, I had always wanted a younger sister though, someone to spoil, someone to have late-night gossiping sessions with. It would be a feeling I could only imagine until now, and I prayed she would accept me and that we could get closer to one another.

"You look great too Alara, I mean that dress is going to make Cameron pass out," I laughed giddily at her comment as I stared at myself in the dresser mirror.

I was wearing an emerald green dress with gold detailing, of embroidered flowers and leaves, I looked like something out of a fairy tale, all I needed to do was add some wings and prosthetic elf ears and I would look like a garden fairy. 

The neckline was high but it connected to a band of gold with jewels winking in the light, a sort of choker that accentuated my face, drawing attention to the makeup I had done. Not too much but a golden eye with a sharp liner, and white kohl to make my eyes look wider. Kira suggested that I add these small studs of green and gold around my cat eye and I had to admit it made me look like an heiress like I was endowed with a bunch of wealth and I had no time for commoners.

I let a laugh slip at the image, it was quite an interesting scenario to entertain.

"Are you girls ready?" I turned to find that Kira's hair had been twisted into the most intricate of updos, with plaits feeding into one elegant bun with artfully places whisps of hair escaping in all the right places. They both looked stunning, with Isobel ready to kill, and Kira ready to have people fall head over heels for her.

They linked arms, "Let's go and show these fools what they're missing,"

"Fools?" I asked.

"I would say something far less forgiving but there are children present," she grinned at Kira who for the first time since I met her pulled her face that was close to a scowl.

"I'm only a year younger than you."

"Exactly, a literal child," Isobel proclaimed before we began to walk. This was a moment I had been longing for, I always did want to have that dramatic entrance down a double staircase where my husband would look up at me and have his breath stolen.

We were close to the top of the stairs and just like in a fairy tale, as we descended the stairs, the men in our life for the very first time were silent.

I could see the look of awe on Cameron's face, his breath caught in his throat, and a tinge of pink that no one else would be able to notice as a blush and not from the chill in the air, made me flush a deep red. I grasped the ebony railing and with all the grace I could muster I descended the stairs.

"My stars-" It was such an old-fashioned admission, it was so very funny, to hear as my eyes lifted to the man that had spoken. 

Vincent Torres was speechless for probably the very first time, "Alara dear, you look immaculate."

"I'm afraid," Cameron drawled as he stretched out a hand in my direction before clasping it and holding me close, "That's my line."

"Isobel, Kira, you look breathtaking also," and then to Isobel specifically his gaze softened and Vincent Torres spoke the most comforting words to Isobel, "Your father would be so proud."

Isobel pulled her lip between her teeth, her eyes shimmering as she nodded, "I hope you are too, father." 

And at that moment, I knew that Isobel really did see Vincent as her father, with all that she had lost she kept a brave face, she had the kindness to fill the centre of the earth, and she cared for Kira, making sure she was ok, often times when Kira would have nightmares, she would let her crawl into the bed with her and hold her close. A friendship and sisterhood I hoped to one day have with her too.

It was at that moment I made a promise to myself that as soon as possible I would call my friends, and let them know I was ok, especially Haifa, I did really miss her.

Cameron leaned in close, "I am not sure whether you are trying to kill me with that dress or not."

I laughed.

"Just remember Grayson, all that glitters is not gold."