Family

Cameron

They were here.

All of them were here, armed to the teeth with the biggest grins. Mel and Leo pressed against each other back to back with guns and ammo hanging off of them.

Mel's brightly streaked hair flew as she ran over to Alara, wrapping her tightly in a hug, "Oh God you're ok!"

And then she handed her a gun but Alara, shook her head, and slipped her hand behind her, pulling the zipper of her dress down ever so slightly and pulling out a dark blue gun, "I've got my own," and I recognised it immediately, it was my mother's gun.

The realisation hit me immediately she would be in danger, the first person my father would go after, in a last-ditch effort to win this battle.

"MA," I called out and I saw her in the crowd, faint blue eyes searching for me a wry smile, "Son," she cried out and then everything slowed, as I saw him snatch a gun from one of the guards and pointed it right at her.

A scream tore through me as I rushed forward, he was going to kill her. He was going to kill my mother.

I was running, running so fast and I was going to be too late, he was going to kill her.

"MA," my breath was short everyone turned, but there was too much chaos too much fighting, with armed guards and Wolfsbane, with Theo and Leo fighting tooth and nail to reach me and Alara, Mel tried to chase after me tried to grab a hold of me, "CAMERON NO," her voice was desperate as she tried to reach me but I could see nothing but the soft smile on my mother's face, she didn't move she merely closed her eyes, and a tear slipped from her eyes.

She was preparing to die. 

Arms grabbed me strong and hauled me back, my father's guards, as he raised his gun aiming straight for the heart, and my throat constricted my heart pummeled as I saw Alonso rush over to me with Mel and Leo, Echo was trying to disable the systems, and everyone was focused on me, trying to get me free, not her.

Why were they coming towards me?

Why was no one saving my mother?

WHY.

WHY

WHY.

My world shattered as I watched a poised finger press against the trigger.

All the breath left my body, and I was shaking, I had closed my eyes on instinct, I had heard the gunshot ringing loudly silencing the chaos, and the arms let me go, I fell to the floor, and I wept as though my heart had been ripped from my chest, "MA," I screamed aloud and then a soft voice whispered.

"Cameron?" it was shaky but so familiar, my eyes flew open to be met with the sobbing figure of my mother, her hands over her mouth and in the middle of it all was Alara.

My darling Alara.

I was on the ground with her before me, the gun firmly pressed in her hands that didn't waver, a smoking gun with her all in white, sprayed with blood now.

"The Queen of Blood," someone whispered and then there was silence.

And on the floor was my father. And for one terrible moment, I hoped, beyond hope that she hadn't killed him.

The guilt racked through me, how could I? How could I want the man who had raised a gun to my mother, put a gun to the only person I would or could ever love?

But I needed more than anything for him to be alive.

I wanted him to suffer. But to die?

So when he twitched and moved from the ground, a stark white hand pressed against his leg, agony ripping through his features, and his eyes landed on Alara, she hadn't moved, she still stood there amongst the flame and the fire, the destruction and the debris. She moved one of her hands, and smeared her lipstick off of her face, it was stern and even with the smattering of blood even with matted hair and imperfect skin that was blemished by ash, she looked beautiful.