Tough Love

Alara

"Do you have any idea how idiotic that was?" Vincent Torres's voice cut through his office in which I was standing, a child being scolded.

I clenched my fists to my side, he had dismissed everyone, and Cameron had fought to stay but I knew I needed to face this alone.

"I thought they knew, I thought everyone knew," I defended my claiming of me being the Blood Queen because back in England it seemed to be all anyone knew of me.

"I have tried to protect you mi cara, I have done everything to make sure that they do not know you as the rest of the underworld do. There is only such an extent to loyalty, there are men in this Mafia who would turn you over in a heartbeat, greed runs through us all and it may be your death." 

I bit my lips, holding back words, as I knew nothing I could say would make anything any better, "I'm sorry it won't happen again. But now your men think I am a liar, that I am living in a world of fantasy where I see myself as a Queen, how awful does that make me look? I look like a fool."

"It is better to be a fool in this world, be the hopeless girl they picture you as. Have strength in the power that you hide behind your smile. You Alara, know that you are powerful, know that you can bring a gang to its knees. You do not need to display that power for it to be real, mi cara."

The words were probably the kindest I would ever hear from my real father's mouth. He was right of course, there was power in secrecy. And I did not need others to know of my strength for it to be there.

"I'm sorry," and I couldn't say it yet. I couldn't say father, or pa, or dad. 

His expression softened a little, "Don't let it happen again Alara, keep your advantages to yourself. Be the Blood Queen that lies beneath the skin, keeping the organism alive and only showing when the walls are punctured and blood needs to be spilt, do you understand?"

His face was cool, pinched with a certain amount of concern about the rough stubble and sharp angle of his face adding to his intimidation but with the contrasting softness of the small incline of his lips, a smile if I was pushing it made him look like a father advising his daughter which was what he was.

"Now I need you to go get changed with Isobel, we have an event to go to but I am warning you now, keep your power close, don't show your hand but be true to yourself. Do not let them speak over you but listen to their words and use them to your advantage. Let them think you are just the wife of a Grayson, but let them know in their hearts that you are the Torres heir."

And with that he dismissed me. Once out of the polished wood doors, I felt my heart finally return to a normal beat, my breath was let out and my shoulders slumped as for a moment I leaned my head against the door.

Cameron was quick to rush over to me, holding me close. But I had one thing on my mind, the man I had shot for questioning me, for questioning my brother, "Did he make it?"

Cameron knew immediately who I was talking about, "He did actually," and there was something in his eyes that told me there was more, as we walked, I felt his grin grow and then I pulled him into a corner in the hall, closed off by another wall a small nook I had spied on my walk of shame to Vincent's office.

"Ok Grayson, spill it," I half glared at him pushing him against the wall, and there was a darkened look in his eyes, succeeded by a flash of humour.

"I had no idea what you're talking about darling," he laughed a deep rumble that I could feel reverberating through the hand that was pressed against his chest.

"Don't play games with me, Cam," I whispered in a meek attempt as a hiss, of course, I wasn't actually mad at him.

He stared down at my hands, and in a single moment he had us flipped so now it was me against the wall, I let out a gasp as he lifted me from the floor, making it so my legs instinctively wrapped around his waist.

My breath was heavy and my hair a mess as loose strands fell in front of my eyes, my heart was pounding as I giggled like a schoolgirl. He was holding me up like I didn't weigh a thing. Which quite frankly did wonders for my ego.

"Don't think you can distract me, Grayson, I asked you a question," I let out in a breathy voice as his head dipped to my neck, peppering kisses against the crook between my shoulder and jaw. 

It was pure ecstasy, practised hands strong and winding me into oblivion. I could feel the rush as my hands buried into his hair. Clutching on for dear life to the soft locks as he made work of every inch of my neck, working his way up until he was tracing my jaw with his lips, going everywhere but where I truly wanted.

"Either tell me what you're hiding or kiss me properly," I dared him, knowing exactly what buttons to press.

He lifted his gaze, breaking from me for a moment with a glint in his eyes, mischief and all things serendipitous, "Your wish is my command,"

And then finally like a man starved his lips connected with mine in the hungriest of kisses, perfect and pressed into a promise that I would keep forever. I loved him, I knew I did and the way he held me up, the way he looked at me, everything he had done for me, I  would never be sick of it and it was in that moment I knew, fully for the first time ever what I wanted more than anything in the world.

"What's my name?" I whispered.

"Was the kiss so great you forgot who you are, if that's the case maybe another will help you remember," I barked out a laugh pressing my forehead against his as I whispered again.

"No Cameron, what's my name," I stared so deeply into the forest of his eyes that I wasn't sure whether I would ever be able to find my way out but I would happily be lost there forever and always, and eternity in his eyes would still be too short.

"Well it's quite confusing, you were Alara Mortello, and now you're apparently Alara Torres.."

"No," I laughed again and I kissed him quick and chaste before pulling back.

"My name is Alara Grayson."