7 : Fated to the Fate

In the early morning, before the tribe would open their eyes, Mr Yamato woke me up and asked me to accompany him on his travel. It was still dark outside with very minimal brightness of sun rays lurking on the horizon of mountains. The deers were tied to the cart and the ride was ready to move. He waved his hands toward me and I placed myself inside the cart.

"Don't you think you should ask the tribe leader before taking me for a ride?"

"Don't worry," He said with a cold face. "I'm sure he won't mind."

I stood quietly, holding the edges of the cart walls and the deers started pulling the cart behind them. The air rushed through the trenchcoat against my arms and without trembling or shaking, my body felt the coldness of the area.

"The blue herb you speak of," I asked while the ride moved at a steady pace. "What is it? How does it work?"

"The people native to these mountains call it the flower of life," He replied. His eyes were stuck on the road which made sense considering the unpredictable flow of snowy winds. "It is an actual dark-blue coloured flower, which is found in the depth of the surface - these people call it the abyss. The flower emits a dark-blue glow which makes it easy to locate even in the darkness. It was first found by me and the current tribe leader around seventeen years ago and it has healing abilities."

While travelling, I looked around and my eyes went to the frozen waterbody we passed along the way. The temperature was below the point that it could freeze the surface of the water body, in such a condition the cart was pulled by the deers with enough speed to freeze someone and yet, my body didn't feel much cold.

Sure, I could still feel the strong winds of cold rushing through my arms and clothes, but it was not as harsh as it should have been otherwise. I looked back at Mr Yamato.

"You sure it only heals one's body?" I asked, squeezing my eyes due to the direct flow of wind. "Cause I feel like it did many other things to me."

Mr Yamato didn't turn around and kept looking at the road ahead while guiding the deers. He said, "The flower, the blue herb, is found in the depth of the surface, a place from where the natural energies originate. For any person who possesses the natural energies, the flower acts like a medicine and has effective healing abilities."

He paused and stood quietly for some time fixing his eyes on the snowy road. I waited for him to continue his explanation but he didn't say a word ahead. After a while, my restless mind was tempted to ask him the remaining explanation and I asked, "Then what happened to me?"

Brief laughter escaped him which he controlled in no time. "Your situation was much different," he said. "Unlike most others, you didn't possess any form of natural energies which is unusual for someone who lives on this land, and your body had no signs of life when you were treated with the herb."

"I'm originally not from Lydia," I said, telling him the truth. "I was born in the Nation of Rose, that is where I spent the first five years of my life before ... before people at SIMI kidnapped me and my brother."

Nation of the Rising sun? The nation beyond the sea? Mr Yamato realised. He was surprised but he still managed to control his expressions and life force. "That explains why you don't have any mutation and no energies." He said calmly. "You have a brother?"

"I had a brother ... he died in an incident in Thena."

He sighed, releasing his breath. "Sorry for asking."

"It is fine." I shook my head. "I never mind. Even William doesn't know about him."

The gust of cold wind rushed through my body as the cart turned left from the corner and moved ahead on the road. I still didn't know where he was taking me. The supplies, he often used to bring to the tribe, were brought some days ago, so there was less possibility for that.