9 : Toward the Forsaken

It took a hard way for me to understand: The world is just a theatre of lies and despair performing this filthy theatrical of lies. The fierce fire of rage burning, blazing inside me will never be quelled.

The voice was heard by William when the darkness had already taken over his vision. The voice was eerie, sinister, with a faint touch of rageful emotions, but the words were much deeper than they felt at first.

To this date, I never understood the truth behind my existence. I never knew who brought me to life. I was just a child when the first person I trusted abandoned me. My mother. . . She saw no worth in me and the emotions I possessed.

I still remember her words: 'Your creation was for the greatness of the world. These filthy, unworthy human emotions were not meant for you nor me.' She sounded angry. 'All these years of effort. Wasted. Why. . . How did you turn out the way you did?'

'Why are these emotions filthy, unworthy... mother?'

'These unworthy emotions are what makes one weak, vulnerable to the lies and despair.' I remember her saying. 'They are a liability. You're not like others, you're different. You must not fall for them.'

It was not long before she finally saw how big of a flaw I was for being a child she imagined. Not long after we last talked, I was abandoned in the middle of nowhere. I was left alone in the darkness. I walked around shouting out her name from the deep of my throat. Not once she responded if she was observing, keeping an eye on me.

People found me after a few days. They were the locals, the natives in the area. Looking at my condition after wandering for days in the lost lands, they took me in and made me one of them. That was the first time someone was kind to me, I didn't know what emotion was rising inside me when I was with them. I explained it to them, they said it's called 'being happy'. Whatever that was.

There was a time when the other nation ravaged their lands, the mountains, in the search of the blue herb, the flower of life as they always called it. When the settlement went under attack, I couldn't help but risk everything I had inside me and save the people I cared about.

At that time, the only thing I wanted was to keep them safe. But after realising the potential strength I possessed after my body was infused with the blue herb, they saw nothing but a monster inside me. A monster who they were feeding and raising every day. The conflicts rose, fingers were pointed and the people broke apart. The families were separated and the settlements drifted apart, away from each other in the depth of mountains.

The flames of conflict still burned among the people, fingers soon pointed at me and before I could realise it, the people who I cared for, who I saw as a family turned against me. My younger self was attacked when they attempted to assassinate me. The people who, till some days ago, were raising and loving me attempted to kill me.

I was abandoned in the wilderness and the harshness of the ice. Left there to die in the pond of my own blood, which was constantly draining out of my bloody wounds.

I was betrayed.

That day would have been the end of me if I had not been found by another person. He looked at me, looked deep into my eyes and I could see the purity filled inside his eyes. I remember he once said: 'If you were able to survive for so long in the harsh weather with those bloody wounds. the force of Nature saved you for a reason.' Though till this point, I don't know how true those words was.

William still wasn't able to see through the thick blanket of darkness over his eyes. Nor was he able to figure out where he was. It was as if he was stuck in an endless plane, floating in the vacuum, where light could not show its face. All he could do is hear that eerie, dense, but still somehow, a familiar -very familiar- voice.