Chapter 29 - You're Poison

Author's Note: Too tired to proofread tonight...

Sydney sat next to Susan's bed, her heart aching. Nathan's surgery was more complex than anticipated and the unknown was making her head spin. David and Arlen checked on her every fifteen minutes or so, but knew she needed time to herself. She stroked the back of Susan's hand and hoped she wasn't in any discomfort. She had just begun to give in to her exhaustion when Susan opened her eyes.

"Syd?" she croaked, groggy and frightened.

Sydney pushed her emotions down as far as she could and smiled. "Hello, sweetheart." She stood and smoothed down Susan's hair, calming her. "You're all right. You're in the hospital and you're resting."

"I can't remember..."

"It's okay, honey." She watched Susan's eyes fight to stay open. "You can sleep, you don't have to stay awake."

"Where's Dad?"

"He's close by." It wasn't a complete lie, but Sydney knew Susan wouldn't be awake for long and it wasn't worth upsetting her.

"Stay with me?"

"Of course I will."

Susan scooted over in the bed, tears shining in her eyes and Sydney understood immediately. After a few moments, Sydney was in Susan's bed holding her and kissing the top of her head. She kept her chest still as she wept, fresh tears falling without a sound. When Arlen stopped in ten minutes later, both were sound asleep.

"Susan must have woken up for a few minutes," Arlen said to David. "Syd's in her bed and...David, what's taking so long?"

"Lungs are delicate and..."

"Stop the bullshit, what's happening?"

David sighed. "A few complications...his breathing...and the swelling was a little worse than I led on."

"David..."

"Let them work, Arlen. I can't do anything more. I'm sorry." His face fell.

"I know...I know, and I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at the asshole kid that did this...the one I'm going to have to go and kill if Nathan..."

"Nathan is going to be fine."

"You don't know that!" Now Arlen was the one that finally let himself go. David pulled him into his arms and held him tighter than he could ever remember.

"I do know," David whispered. "I do. They deserve one another too much for anything to..."

"Life's shit," Arlen sniffled. "That's why it's called life and not 'Fairy Tale.'"

"You don't believe that. You worship fairy tales..."

"Where is my daughter?" To say Celia burst into the waiting room would be a severe understatement. She left her car parked halfway on the sidewalk, still running, and ran up to the administration desk. Her fists pounded on paperwork, sending it to the floor.

"Excuse me, ma'am," Erica said, shrinking back.

Burt was still in the waiting room and his head instantly ached. "Celia, settle down."

"Settle down? My daughter was drugged! She could have been raped! She..."

"She's been here for hours, Celia, she's fine."

"Hours? Why did Samantha only call me a few minutes ago."

Erica answered. "Her shift only started a little while ago."