Chapter 13 - Alpha Nathan

It was uncomfortably warm out; hot and humid, as any August day. Sydney kept a smile on her face as a bead of sweat rolled down the back of her neck. She didn't regret agreeing to help out, but she would have given nearly anything for, at the very least, some cloud cover.

Nathan watched as various sets of male eyes took in his lover's form. She was wearing a light yellow sundress, which left her neck and shoulders deliciously exposed, her ponytail not helping the situation. The dress was very much nineteen fifties inspired, making for the most perfect female silhouette. She flitted from person to person, her smile sweet and personable. He was unable to concentrate on anything else around him and it was her fault. That morning she made sure to finish her shower just before he could join her, slipped on her dress right before he entered their room, and kept her hand on his thigh as they drove to school, her fingers lightly stroking above the inseam of his pants. She was making him want her and when he'd asked her about it, she laughed and told him he was imagining things.

Colleges were being courted today. Thanks to the program Nathan and Sydney put together, several local campuses were interested in giving Western Summit High another chance at their student teachers. Bound copies of their presentation had been sent to every school within a two-hour commute and the interest was more than they could have hoped for. Of course, this meant that the program's creators had to be present and charming.

"Nathan? Are you even listening to me?"

Nathan turned his head, Joe coming into his line of vision. "Hm? Oh, yeah, sure…um, what were you saying?"

Joe laughed, rolling his eyes. "I was just thanking you again, I've a feeling the spring is going to be good for the district."

"Well, you gave us something to do and…" His eyes went back to Sydney. A tall, blonde man had his hand on Sydney's back, laughing at something she'd just said.

"And you can't tear your eyes off of her." He put a firm hand on Nathan's shoulder. "Things are going well at home?"

He nodded. "Yeah, the renovations got pushed back a little with her surgery, but they'll…the, uh, kitchen will be done this week."

"Nate, she's doing fine. They love her." Joe completely misunderstood the way he was looking at Sydney.

"Yeah, I can see that." He cleared his throat. "She's got a way about her, can…captivate. I think we can safely say we're going to have their students. Excuse me." He made his way through the small sea of people and interrupted the conversation Sydney was having.

"Excuse me, gentleman," he said, his smile bright.

"Ah, Mister Gardner," the blonde man said. Nathan couldn't recall his name. "Miss Turner was just telling us how much time the two of you put into this program. It certainly shows and we appreciate the drive to help new educators."

"We worked extremely well together, so the project came rather easily." He looked at Sydney. "I need to steal you away for a few minutes, hm?"

Sydney saw the look in his eyes and a pleasurable chill ran through her body. "Of course, Nathan." She looked at the men around her and smiled. "Pardon me." She followed Nathan from the courtyard, through the side doors, and into the school. "Something wrong, honey?" she asked, coy.

He took her hand and led her to the main office, the only place there was air conditioning today. It was deserted. "Why are you driving me crazy, Syd?" he asked, going through the door to Joe's private office...Nathan's less than a year ago.  The blinds behind the desk were drawn to keep it cooler.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

He took her hand and placed it between his legs. "Do you know how hard it is to hide this from them? All day long you've been teasing me."