Chapter 5 - Rom-Com Problems

Sydney rolled over, stretching, and her eyes fell on Nathan. He was asleep, moonlight accentuating the left side of his face. The night had been perfect. He called in a favor with Jeremy Hudson, the school's band director, and was able to get tickets for the city's symphony gala. He wanted to do something special and completely out of the ordinary with Sydney and he couldn't think of anything more perfect. They had a mutual love of music and neither had been to the symphony in several years.

Both were dressed elegantly; Nathan in a three-piece black suit with a bright red tie and Sydney in a floor length, strapless black gown, a red headband around her graceful up-do. She knew it was silly, but she felt like a princess. They were actually complimented as a lovely couple on several occasions and she blushed each time something was said. Nathan kept her on his arm proudly, so happy that they no longer had to hide.

They held hands during the seven-movement suite of Gustov Holst's "The Planets." Sydney had never told Nathan, as it had never come up, but she had grown up on music from all periods and two particular pieces from this suite, "Mars: The Bringer of War" and "Jupiter: Bringer of Joy", were two of her all time favorites, right up there with Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. He watched her face as her favorite selections played and his heart welled. There were tears in her eyes, and she squeezed his hand. There was something there that he knew he'd need to ask about...but not tonight.

After the performance came the gala. An evening of fine food and, rather than wine for the couple, sparkling ciders. Nathan showed her that his waltzing wasn't as rusty as he thought and he twirled her around for an hour or so, talking and laughing all the while. They saw a few people that they knew, smiling like children as they answered "yes" when asked if they were seeing one another, and made new acquaintances as well. It was all so wonderful.

They were unable to keep their hands off of one another when they got home and Sydney was granted her wish of peeling layers away from Nathan…they spent a couple of hours undressing, kissing, worshipping, and making love before finally drifting off to sleep. When Sydney did wake, she feared that none of it actually happened. Never had a night been the cliché sort of magic she'd always wished for and had seen in countless romantic comedies, but her dress spread out on the floor assured her she was rooted in reality. She looked back at Nathan; a smile on his face and one eye now open.

"Hello, Princess," he whispered, rolling and claiming her lips. Sydney remembered a bit of role-playing had transpired as well and she blushed from head to toe.

"M'lord," she giggled, running her hand through his hair.

"This has been the most amazing night of…"

Sydney put her finger over his lips, smiling. "We're turning into a romcom, Nathan. If we say it out loud, something bad is bound to happen." She kissed his cheek. "But is has been, hasn't it?"

He nodded, playing along with her and not saying another word. "I think I worked up a little appetite. Feel like plundering the fridge with me, m'lady?"

"You read my mind." After a little rummaging, she found her panties…then spotted Nathan's shirt. She sighed. "Well, we've gone this far." She picked up the white shirt and put it on, leaving a generous amount of buttons undone. She looked at Nathan, grinning. "I'm not gonna lie, I've always wanted to do this."

Nathan smiled back, pulling his t-shirt over his head and making his way to her. "And now I get why it's done in the movies so often…" He kissed her. "Sexy."

They went downstairs to the kitchen and began to pull out everything needed for a couple of middle of the night sandwiches. It was nearly three am, but they had the house to themselves…therefore incessant giggling and inappropriate behavior outside the bedroom wasn't taboo. Sydney found herself sitting on the counter as Nathan created a couple of ham and cheese masterpieces. She grabbed him by the collar of his t-shirt when he came close and held him there, his back to her chest.