Chapter 15 - One of Those Couples

Later that night, Nathan turned out the light on his nightstand. He just finished reading another chapter of their current novel to Sydney and thought she had already drifted off to sleep. He was caught a little by surprise when she shifted in bed, cuddling against his chest and beginning to talk.

"I want to thank you for not bringing up things since the surgery." Her voice was soft, but steady. "You didn't press for anything and I couldn't be more grateful for that."

He'd been wondering for weeks when she would decide to talk about things. It was now and he let out a breath he felt he'd been holding forever. "Syd, I couldn't imagine…I don't know how to even start this…"

She smiled against his skin; he could feel it. "You don't need to start anything, Nathan. What I said in the hospital…it wasn't because of the anesthesia and I didn't have any weird dreams or visions…it's just a feeling."

Nathan shifted onto his side, his nose touching Sydney's. "And it's a wonderful feeling, but, Syd…"

"You think I'm setting myself up for more disappointment," she interrupted.

He would only answer her truthfully. "A bit…I'm not trying to be negative…I can only go by what I was told."

"I know, honey. I meant the other things I said though, too. We need to focus on the present and on us. We have a brand new school year starting soon and…I finally have what I've worked so hard for." She kissed his lips lightly. "And a real job."

Nathan laughed now, the sound soft and light. "You've been trying to get your own classroom a hell of a lot longer than you tried to get me."

"Oh, yeah? How do you know?"

"Well," he kissed her neck, his lips lingering on her skin. "You never had to try to get me at all." He laughed at himself. "Whenever I want to try and make a point, a string of cheese leaves my mouth."

"I love string cheese!" she teased.

"And now you're just as bad."

"Oh no, we're already that couple! We're rubbing off on each other and will be looked at as cute, disgusting freaks! Whatever shall we do?"

Nathan's laugh grew stronger. "What's gotten into you tonight?"

She shook her head, her hair tickling his chest. "I don't know…just happy, I think. David's going to be back with Arlen soon – healthy, I might add – Susan and I had…a moment today…and, you know, I get to go to sleep in this bed every night, so there's that…"

"I won't ever push you, Syd," he said, returning to the beginning of their conversation. "I have to be honest though, the last couple of weeks…they were killing me. I wanted to talk to you; I needed to be sure you were okay."

A few long moments passed and when Sydney spoke again, the joy was gone from her voice. "I needed time, Nathan, and I was being a little selfish about it. I have a habit of…I haven't had anyone who, Arlen aside, but I just expect it from him, like a brother," she rambled. "It was just me for so long…I'm sorry."

"I didn't mean to upset you…"

"No, you didn't. Having you in my life is…it's everything I've ever wanted in a relationship, but…"

"Please no buts…"

"It's a good one." She caressed his face, not needing the light to find his cheek. "I need to get used to there being someone else who's looking out for me."

"I've been doing that for months," he said, slightly stung.

"I know you have, but now…" Her smile returned and her eyes watered happily. "…you're my emergency contact…you're the one who the doctors tell things to, who holds my hand in waiting rooms…you're the person that I've always needed at my side, but never had." She wiped at her eye. "This was not supposed to go this way tonight…"

"I'll be whatever you need, Sydney, you never have to feel…"

"Trapped inside myself," she said quickly. "I know…just like I know that somehow we're going to be parents."

And suddenly Nathan felt the same odd sense of certainty that Sydney did and understood why she couldn't explain it to him. Maybe he was just caught up in a moment, maybe he was tired and reality was bending a little…but something deep down in his chest told him to be patient. "We are," he whispered, his mouth next to her ear.

"See, we are that couple," she laughed. "Even my crazy is rubbing of on you."

"There are two very sane people in this bed, Syd." He kissed her, innocent and loving. "I love being able to talk like this."

Sydney yawned. "Me too." She shifted so her back was to his chest and he wrapped his arms around her as he did every night. "Good night, Nathan."

"Good night, Syd…"