Chapter 17 - Back to School

Author's Note: This is complete fluff...fair warning!

Sydney felt butterflies in her stomach as the school came into view. Summer vacation was over and so many things had transpired in the last three months. Nathan saw the look on her face and reached over to hold her hand. She turned her head toward him and smiled, happy that this was her new morning routine. She didn't have to rush to school to sneak in a few extra minutes with him anymore; instead they would ride together in Nathan's new Volkswagen Touareg. As soon as he saw it, he knew it was what he wanted - safe for the winters with plenty of room for a family. Susan was driving the Chrysler now, happily so, and unaware of what occurred on top of it.

"You did this for almost a full year, Syd," Nathan said, smiling at her. "You're going to be great."

She smiled back, a bit wider than she wanted to, but she couldn't help herself. "I'm not sure it's the classes I'm apprehensive about." She looked down at her skirt, blushing.

"Everyone knows you got this job on your own. They know you care about the kids…and those kids had a few weeks to say whatever they needed to."

Sydney laughed a little. "Not worried about the kids either."

They pulled into the parking lot and Nathan took the key from the ignition. "Honey, there are no rules against it, Joe's insanely happy about it, the board knows all about it…and most importantly, we're happy. If anyone has an issue with it…" Sydney leaned over and kissed him, lingering a little longer than she should have.

"…screw 'em,  she giggled.  They parted and gathered their things from the backseat before entering the halls of Western Summit High for a new year. As they started across the parking lot, Nathan made a decision. He laced his fingers with hers, his thumb gently stroking hers. He didn't let go until they walked into the office to sign in for the day.

"I suspect your sign in times will be the same on a daily basis?" Joe asked, winking at them. Sydney blushed again and Nathan nodded, proud of the fact. "It's fantastic."

Nathan chuckled. "He said 'fantastic' – it's so much easier to bring Nine into day to day conversations…"

Sydney grabbed a few papers off of the counter and playfully rolled her eyes. "Kids are already filtering in, Nathan. Allons-y!" She turned, her skirt twirling against her body and left the office. He caught up to her immediately.

"Touché, Syd." They walked through the halls to their classrooms, noticing a few of the students smiling at them as they did so. "Not so bad," he whispered. He went to Sydney's room with her. She crossed the threshold while he stayed within it. "I'll see you at lunch."

Sydney put her things on her desk and walked back over to him. "Mm hm." She was giddy, plain and simple. Life was good right now and she was reveling in it. With the softest touch, she caressed his cheek and kissed his lips. "Have a good morning, honey."

"You too."

The first half of the day went smoothly. Both Nathan and Sydney's classes were well behaved and they were both grateful to have done a little extra work on their plans at home over the last week. Sydney made her way to the faculty restroom when the bell rang for lunch and when she came out…

"Sydney Turner, how could you have kept that a secret!" Madelyn had been all but pacing outside the bathroom door. "We went out to lunch at least a dozen times and you never even hinted at…"

"He's a tiger in bed, isn't he?"

"Loo! You can't just ask like that!" Madelyn scolded the economics teacher standing next to her.

Loo blushed. "Sorry, Sydney…but…" She smiled. "He is isn't he? The uptight broody, ones always are."

Sydney sighed. "Nathan isn't uptight or broody."

"Well, no, not anymore," Loo added with a sly smile. "You've transformed him."

"She has a point, Syd," Madelyn added. "And he looks…different."

"Guys," Sydney whined.

"Healthy, tan, fit…"

"Maddie, you're married, stop checking out my…."

"Boyfriend!" Loo giggled. Sydney's face fell and Loo quickly added, "Oh, sweetie, we're just having a little fun with you."

"Yeah, Syd, we're really happy for you, we just felt a little left out."

"We just didn't know how to go about it," Sydney said, finally starting to smile. "We didn't even tell his daughter or my best friend for a long time."

"Are you really living together now? That's what Andrea told me after getting home from Susan's pool party."

Sydney nodded. "Right after I got out of the hospital when…"

"No need for those memories," Loo interrupted. "But…just a tiny hint about the tiger thing?"

"Loo!"

"I'm sorry, but it's in my head and I promise I'll drop it if…"

Sydney started to walk away from the women, anxious to get to her lunch date. "I'm a very happy woman." She put a little extra swing into her step as she went back to her room and could hear her friends giggling behind her.

"Thought you were standing me up," Nathan said when Sydney walked through her doorway.

"Just getting through a little interrogation about you." Nathan raised an eyebrow. "Were you formerly broody and uptight?"

"Most likely," he laughed. "I used to go to bars and drink alone after school, so…yeah, those descriptions fit. Uptight here, broody there…" He went to her, arm circling her waist. "…happy now."

"I was asked how you were in bed." Nathan's eyes went wide. "Don't be surprised if you catch the female faculty staring at your ass."

"You answered?"

She laughed, pressing herself closer to him. "In my own way, without actually saying much of anything."

"You know what?"

"Hm?"

"Say whatever you like, maybe we'll get elected to the homecoming court. Hungry?"

Sydney took his lips. "Mm hm…"

Nathan pulled back. "Well, I'm pretty sure someone packed both of us some lunch…and I hear he has a nice ass…"