Chapter 30 - That Kid Didn't Kick My Ass

Author's Note: Not perfect, but.....

"I can't believe you let her hit you, sweetheart." Nathan's mother, Maureen, was sitting next to Sydney.

"I can't believe she didn't kill her," his father, Henry, added as he paced the floor. "Good for you, Syd, showing restraint."

"I needed her...not here," Sydney croaked, all of her energy gone. "That was the fastest way. She was going to do it and I..." She rubbed at her eyes, itchy from becoming so raw.

"I'm glad you're here," Arlen chimed in. He called them before he'd made it to Sydney, not knowing they were out of town for the weekend. They left immediately, but the trip took a few hours.

"Of course, son," Henry said, his voice kind. He took an instant liking to Arlen the first time they'd met. "Does David know anything else?"

Arlen shook his head. "Nathan's still in recovery. They usually wait for the patient to wake before bringing them to their room..." His voice faded.

"He'll wake up just fine. I know my son, he's always enjoyed sleeping in." A faint smile crossed Sydney's lips, brightening Henry's eyes immediately. "Well, look at that." He walked over to her and kissed her forehead. Sydney rose to her feet and caught him by surprise when she hugged him, holding on to him as tightly as she could. He could feel that she was once again crying, as he rubbed her back and held her. When she finally pulled back, she excused herself and went to the restroom. Henry looked to Arlen, who's own eyes were glistening. "Arlen?"

"Syd...she and her parents...it's complicated and messy and, well, don't expect to meet them before, after, or during the wedding." He sighed. "She adores the both of you. You need to know that."

Henry's face fell. "Nathan always skirted the subject. Seemed unsure of what to tell us." He looked in the direction Sydney walked and shook his head. "Thank you for the heads up."

"We'll be here for her," Maureen added.

Two more hours passed. Two hours were David did not leave Nathan's side. He monitored every little beep from the machines, every labored breath. Breathing on his own was the best David could have asked for. A small, temporary flutter valve was put in place and the cranial swelling was being treated through IV medications. He'd hurt like hell, but in a few weeks...

"...Susan..." The word was soft and groggy, but it was there. Nathan's eyes opened, then quickly shut due to the light. He opened them again, slowly, repeating his daughter's name.

"She's fine, Nathan, I promise." David's distinct voice was calm. "She's with your parents and Sydney."

Nathan groaned, frustration as well as pain quite evident. "Kid did not kick my ass, he insisted, "stairs did."

David smiled. "Well, that answers the question about your head, doesn't it?" He pulled out a small light and frowned. "Sorry for the brightness, it's necessary." He shined the light into both of Nathan's eyes, happy to watch his pupils respond. "Better than I could ever have asked for."

"Been awake for a while, I think...just couldn't do much about it. Some drugs here, huh?"

David nodded. "Indeed."

"Can she come in? I know exactly what she's letting herself go through and..."

"Soon, Nathan. Don't you want to know your injuries?"

"Will I be dancing at my wedding in a few months?"

"Well, of course, but..."

"Then I can wait for what ever might be wrong." Emotions caught up to him and his eyes began to shine with tears. "Please let me see my daughter, David."