4

Finally, I drove us back to Regina's house. She is living in a very large house for the two of them. When we arrived, two maids rushed over to help Regina with her belongings from the back seat. They greeted me with such kindness that I returned the favor. I'm not used to maids because I've never had one, and we don't really need one because we all do household chores. Knowing that Regina only has Nathan with her, I believe it is understandable. Besides that, she is a very busy CEO, so she must not have enough time to look after Nathan and the house in general.

"Are you hungry?" Regina consulted as we entered the massive house. It's both spacious and tidy.

"Not really, are you?" I ask, as she carries Nathan, who is fast asleep.

"No, there's an available guest room upstairs. I wouldn't mind if you use it," she clarified.

"Will I sleep there?" I ask

"Would you like to sleep next to me instead?" She said, making me look away, how can she be so direct with her words? I mean, she's always been like this, but haven't I previously stated that I'm interested in women?

"Tell me if you need anything, and if you need clothes, you're welcome to borrow them from me," she said as we walked up the stairs.

"I think I'm fine, thank you," I said. Before going to the convenience store earlier, I came home first after work and changed into more comfortable clothes.

"Narda," Regina says before I open the door to the guest room. "Thank you for today again... Goodnight," Regina said softly, causing me to nod.

"Goodnight," I replied as she entered her room with Nathan in her arms.
"I'll take the guest room," I said, making her smile as I avoided answering her question.

I was awakened by the sound of a baby crying. I'm not used to waking up at midnight because I don't have my own child. When I look at the time on the side table, it's 3 a.m. The crying stopped in a matter of seconds. I rose from my bed and remained seated. When I heard a door open, I went to my own door and peered outside to see Regina holding Nathan; she had clearly awoken due to him.

"Do you need help?" I ask as she turns around, her eyes puffy from waking up because of Nathan. She hasn't responded, but I walk out to find Nathan awake but no longer crying.

"I'll just grab Nathan's little blue blanket... he can't sleep without it," she hoarsely said.

"Go back inside, I'll go look for it," I said, walking downstairs without waiting for her response. I don't think she's the kind of boss who wakes her employees up in the middle of the night to look for a blanket. It must be difficult for her to get out of bed in the middle of the night so Nathan can sleep with his blanket.

I made my way back up the stairs once I found it. I knocked first before entering her room, and she was already breastfeeding Nathan on the side of her bed. She appears exhausted, but she is still trying to stay awake for Nathan.

"Did you wake up because you heard him cry?" she asks as I place the blanket over Nathan's grip.

"I did... do you usually wake up in the middle of the night?" I ask, standing in front of them.

"Before, I used to wake up almost every night because Nathan was crying, but lately he's been crying a little less... thankfully," she said, clearly sleepy.

"Do you want to lean back so you can be more comfortable?" I ask, pointing to the headboard of her bed.

"Are you sure you don't have a wife yet? You're acting as if you know a lot," she joked, making me shake my head. I move closer to her bed to position her pillows so she can lean against them. She then scoots back and relaxes as I fix the blanket. "You should go back to your room and sleep," she said, laying her back.

"I wouldn't sleep peacefully knowing you're in here fighting your eyes from closing," I chuckled, which made her laugh. "You might fall asleep and drop Nathan," I joked, making her laugh even harder.

"Can I ask you a personal question, Narda?"

"That's making me nervous," I joked, making her smile.

"What exactly are you looking for that you haven't found anyone to spend your life with?" she asks, her gaze returning to mine.

"I have no idea," I admitted honestly.

"Do people not meet your standards or something?" she inquires.

"How do you know if you're ready for a family or not?" I ponder.

"You never really know. You know how decisive I am, right?" I nodded in response, "that doesn't really help with my life. Before having Nathan, I was so sure that I wanted a kid. A few weeks before giving birth to him, I suddenly felt terrified and wanted to back out. Then there he is.. you just adapt along the way. You are never really ready for something."

"How come you didn't choose to have someone in your life to raise a child with?" I asks.

"Because I encounter people who don't turn out to be the person I wanted... or the person I wished for."

"Didn't you say you just adapt as you go?"

"Yes, for Nathan, because he is my child, but for a partner, I wanted someone who is not only the best for me but also the best for Nathan. Do you have anything you look for in a person?" she asks me.

"I just want to be comfortable with someone, which is too vague but also too difficult to find."

"Things can be complex even when they shouldn't be, and things appear to be easy when they're really complex," Regina explained.

"Didn't I say before that I wanted to make a promise to someone that when I reach a certain age, I hope to find someone to settle down with?"

"Did you find any?" Regina questions.

"I can't even imagine getting married with any of my friends," I chuckled.

"How about Brian?" Regina inquires.

"Just kill me," I told her, making her laugh.

"But hey," I raise my head to meet her gaze, "if you do want to settle down with someone who will give you that comfort and peace, please include me in your options. I won't say no this time."