11

I've been living with Regina and Nathan for two weeks now. Surprisingly, I don't feel out of place here. Prior to meeting Regina, my weekdays consisted of waking up, going to work, and returning home to sleep because I was exhausted. Weekends are spent either completely resting or socializing with friends and family. My weekdays have become more interesting since moving in with Nathan and Regina. Regina is very busy at work, but when we both get home, she will make sure to put away all work-related items for at least a few hours before bedtime. Lola and Ding mostly come by on weekends to spend time with us... Well, mostly Nathan because they adore him more.

It's also been a week since our friends forced me to share a room with Regina. They informed Regina that Nathan could have his own bedroom. Regina, however, has at least three more guest rooms. Though I don't think I'd be very reasonable if I agreed to a marriage but refused to share a room with the person I'm marrying.

"Have you seen my driver's license?" I ask as I rummage through my bag.

"It's in your gray jacket pocket," Regina says as she sits on the bed, watching a documentary.  I zip up my bag and walk over to the rack to put my hand inside the pocket. My license was there when I pulled it out.

"How did you know?" I wonder, returning my gaze to Regina while showing my driver's license.

"Wife things," she said with a smug grin, making me shake my head and chuckle.

"Is Nathan sleeping already?" I ask, having seen her in his room earlier. She pulls out the baby monitor to show me that he's passed out in his crib.

"Why does he take so long when I'm the one rocking him to sleep? He only sleeps fast if he's dead tired," I explained as I placed the license in my bag and walked towards the bed to lie down.

"Because he enjoys playing with you," she explained, turning down the volume on the television.

"Does that mean I'm his favorite?" She turns her head and gives me a quick glare, so I just shut my mouth because we're in a lion's den.

"Oh right, I mentioned my business trip, right?" she asks, prompting me to nod. She mentioned it a couple of days ago. "Right, are you sure you're going to be okay?" she asks as I lie down on my back, knowing I won't be watching with her anyway.

"I have Lola after all," I explained.

"Love, we're talking three weeks here."

"I mean, it's your job, so just go, and I'll take care of Nathan," I explained.

"It was supposed to be months, but I told them I couldn't be out of the country for that long."

"I'll just update you and call you so you don't have to worry about Nathan," I said

"Well, don't just keep me updated on Nathan."

"Do you want an update on Ali?" I joked, making her smile as she lightly slapped my stomach. Ali will accompany her as her secretary and personal assistant.

"I'd like you to keep me notified about you as well, silly."

"Do you have a crush on me?" I tease again, earning another punch to the stomach that made me laugh. She didn't fully withdraw her hand for the second time. She rest her hand on my wrist and took a hold of it.  Regina will be there for a few business meetings, but she will also go to the vineyard where all of her merlot are produced. She will be in France because it is winter which is the best season for merlot.

"Did you know Nathan was born in France?" she asks, making me shake my head. "I first heard of IUI when I was in France, and because I also have a branch of my company there, I decided to stay there while the whole process was going on."

"Do you speak French?" I question since she has been there for almost a year.

"Hell no," she said, making us both laugh, "I know a few words and sentences but I can't fully communicate in the language.  It's very difficult," she said, lightly patting my wrist. I'm not sure if she's doing it subconsciously or not.

"How did you get Nathan's name?" I ask. She then stopped tapping my wrist, forcing me to look up at her. Was it a personal matter?

"From someone..." she said after a brief pause, "someone from high school," making me furrow my brows in confusion.

"Are you close with anyone else in high school?" I ask, knowing that I was the only person she hung out with—wait, "Did you name Nathan after me?"

"Yes, drop the topic now," she said, attempting to avoid the subject.

"Aww... That's so cute," I pouted as she shook her head, attempting to dismiss my reaction.

"I was just out of ideas, okay? I didn't know what to name him. I can't name him after my dad, over my dead body, and I just find your name pretty, so I just took the first two letters," she mumbles, making me smile.

"I won't question it because I will name my child after a friend as well, nothing wrong with that, but also I don't understand why you have to be so defensive," I laughed.

"Narda, I swear if you don't stop teasing, you'll be sleeping in Nathan's crib."

"I wasn't the one who started it," I continued to laugh. My phone rang, and we were cut off. Regina can easily see my phone screen because she is still sitting.

"Mara... go answer it," she said, pushing me away so she can also avoid the topic. I reach for my phone, which is on the side table. Why the hell is she calling at 11 p.m.?

"Bestie, I don't understand why Boss wouldn't take me with her to France," she says, so I take the phone away from my ear and put it on speaker. I poked Regina, making her look at me. "Like look, bonjour, Je m'appelle Mara," she said with the worst kind of accent. I'm not French, but I can tell. "I just don't understand why Boss won't pick me and allow me to join her business trip," she rants. I turn to face Regina, who is staring at my phone screen, even if it isn't lit up.

"Are you the head of your department, Mara?" she asks, a little less intimidating because she's talking to my friend and because they're not at work.

"What? Oh, hi boss... Narda, you shithead. Hi boss, I am always thankful that you are my boss. You are the best boss ever. I have no complaints or anything," she said sweetly, making me laugh.

"I thought you were saying something like, why didn't Regina pick you-" I began, but was cut off by Mara.

"That's ridiculous... I would never say anything against our very kind boss," Mara responds defensively, making me laugh even harder.

"It's 11 p.m., Mara. Do you have a clock at home?" Regina ask.

"Yes, boss, I also have a passport in case you are wondering." She said, still trying to push that agenda.

"Right, so why are you calling my wife this late?"

"I dialed the wrong number, boss. It won't happen again. Have a good rest, sweet dreams, have your beauty rest, I won't call again," she said as she hung up the phone.

"You're having fun teasing Mara, aren't you?" I ask, setting my phone on the side table.

"I was already speaking in my nicest tone; it's not my fault she's still intimidated," she said, making me smile.

"Do you frequently use the 'I'm Narda's wife' card?" I wonder.

"I do, and you should use your 'I'm Regina Vanguardia's wife' card a lot, so people won't think that you're still available," she said.