6

Lola, Ding, and I have been playing with Nathan since Regina left for work. I even forgot Regina has maids who come by every now and then to see if we need anything. They even brought me a portion of Lola's food for breakfast. Around noon, one of the maids approached me and asked if I needed assistance with Nathan's bath. I have no experience with children, but Lola has agreed to help me. After Nathan had finished taking a bath, Lola started showing me how to properly change Nathan's diaper and do other things.

"I really admire Regina for taking care of this little one on her own. Look, you're exhausted after just one day. Nathan is almost a year old, imagine doing everything for months," Lola said, making me nod. She is truly admirable for doing everything on her own. Regina has always been independent, but she continues to amaze those around her.

"Ma'am.." I turn around to see one of Regina's maids, so I walk out of the room, and she's holding her phone, saying, "It's Ma'am Regina."

"Please call me Narda," I said, not used to being addressed in that manner. She handed me her phone and left so I could talk. "Hello?" I answered.

With the same relaxed tone, she asks, "Narda, everything's fine?"

"You should be worried if I was alone, but Lola is with me," I chuckled.

"I'm just checking on Nathan and you," she stated. What am I supposed to say now? "Anyway, I also discovered that one of your old friends, who can also still be your friend, works here."

"Who? I don't remember anyone working for a company," I was baffled.

"Mara," she indicated, "I had a meeting with their department, and she approached me afterwards."

"Mara? I thought she worked as a bartender at a bar or club because she has plenty of liquor in her place," I heard her laugh on the other line.

"Well, it is a wine company, after all... she was congratulating me"

"And for what?"

"I suppose Ding was telling your friends what he told your Lola... About us."

"Great, another reason to get rid of Ding."

"Oh, speaking of Mara...," she paused.

"Hello, Boss," Mara said on the other end of the line.

"Do you need anything?" she asks, her tone changing. I'd tremble in fear if I didn't know Regina at all because her voice is so intimidating.

"Oh, you're on the phone, I'm so sorry," Mara says.

"This is Narda," Regina remarked.

"Oh, so we can be casual-"

"No, we can't," Regina says coldly.

"I recommend firing her," I joked to Regina.

"Right...ofcourse. Sorry, boss," Mara says, sounding terrified.

"We're at work, so... we can't," Regina clarifies. "However, if you want people to gossip and say bad things about you, we can."

"No, no, no... I don't want gossips. Narda help," Mara says as I silently laugh at her.

"Fire her! Fire her! Fire her!" I chant, which Regina probably only hears.

"Would you like me to listen to Narda?" Regina question.

"Yes, please," Mara responds.

"She wants me to fire you."

"Narda you piece of shit- sorry boss, I didn't mean to say bad things about your girlfriend," she said.

"What?" I ask aloud.

"I accept the apology," Regina stated instantly.

"And you're not going to correct her about the girlfriend thing?" I ask.

"Are these the papers?" Regina interjects, ignoring my question.

"Yes, boss. Boss, our department is having a dinner later, and it would be great to have you there," Mara says. She's sucking up to her boss, which is very Mara.

"I'll ask my girlfriend first," Regina says.

"What do you mean?" I ask specifically.

"Narda, you're not invited because you don't work here; I'll leave now, boss," she politely stated.

"Did you say anything?" Regina asks after Mara had left.

"What do you mean by asking your girlfriend for permission?" I seek clarification.

"Did you think I was referring about you when I was talking about my girlfriend?" she asks. Why is she turning it all around?

"No but-"

"Right, so why are you questioning my statement?" I have no defense.

"Then I won't," I stated.

"All right, can I go to dinner later?"

"I mean, sure—wait, why are you asking for my permission?" I realized. As she caught me slipping like that, I heard her chuckle on the other end of the line.

"You're cute," she said. She shouldn't be so quick to give compliments. I'm becoming flustered.

"Regina... stop flirting," I said, drawing another laugh from her.

"I have to go anyway," she said, shuffling through papers. "Oh, I don't know if Ding told you, but I think he invited some of your friends; he asked for my permission earlier."

"And you fully agreed?"

"Why wouldn't I? They're your friends, and I think they still remember me as the person who turned you down before," she joked. They know a lot more than that.

"They remember you as a very intimidating person in high school... Mara probably still thinks you are," I chuckled.

"Am I intimidating to you as well?" she questions.

"Well, sometimes," I admitted, "but you don't act intimidating to me."

"That's all that matters then"