Chapter 38 - Her and Him

She never liked being left alone. Her heart always yearned for the love from the people around her. At the fragile age of 16, her so called parents left her alone in a stranger's house in the name of marriage. It took her many months to get adapted to her new surroundings.
Her husband helped her to cope up with the complicated situation. He would keenly listen to her likes and dislikes. He would always share the happenings of the his day with her before going to sleep. When he came to know that she was fond of reading, he would bring her books making her happy. Her husband would try his best to make her happy by bringing small gifts once in a week. He would always ask her choice though he will go with his choice, she happily accepted his choices. Slowly she forgot about the loneliness. In the day time, she will do all the household chores to distract herself from missing him. She felt happiest when he enrolled her to study fine arts. She learned everything happily. She finally came to understand the concept of marriage, when she attended a distant relative wedding along with her inlaws. It's not like they didnot get into any intimate moments, he would always give her a forehead kiss, while leaving for office. Within a span of a one year, she became habituated to him. She took care of him and his family. And at end of two years, her heart was filled with love for her husband.

She was thrilled by the care and affection received from her husband that she didnot hesitated to give herself to him. She got pregrant at the age of 19, when she was a teenager herself, she was forced to look after a life growing inside her. As the youngest among the daughter in law's of that house, she have to carryout many works. Sometimes she would be sacrificing her meals to finish all those works. She went into early labour, complicating her life and baby's life. But God was graceful on that day on her, giving her an another chance at life.

She was happier thinking that she won't be alone any more with the baby by her side. Her happiness was short lived, when she returned home. After two months after her child's birth, her husband fell terribly ill. After that, she was forced to hand her baby to her Co sisters for looking after her because she have to take care of her husband. It nearly took a year for her husband to get cured. And at that time, she didnot know that, he will leave her alone in this cruel world and die.

Her unforgettable four months was with Vijay and his family. Though she was accused of immorality by someone from the family, she felt grateful for giving her shelter for 5 months. She can not forget the love she received from Chitra; care and affection she received from Vijay. She felt like God was cruel to her, He was always giving her the happiness and taking away the same from her, when she least expect. Her heart ached when she relaised that life with Vijay's family was just like a passing cloud.

She had a strong will power, when she came out of Vijay's house. Though she don't know where to go, she hoped that someone will come for her. She really hoped that Vijay would come for her. She realsied how much she depended on Vijay or others for the help.

'It's okay to depend on others', her heart quipped in.

'No, it's not. You are now standing in the middle of the road by depending on others', her mind mocked her.

Admist all the quarreling between her heart and mind, her shoulders slumped, when she remembered that Vijay was in Delhi, attending a conference. With this thought, her mind went silent and her heart ached. Atleast she should have informed him. She remembered her promise of not going anywhere without informing him. She broke the promise.

"I am freeing you from my promise", Kavitha said in her mind and let her tears flow freely.

She walked aimlessly in the road, and that's when she saw a police van stopping infront of her. A tall man dressed in police uniform came out of the car and stood before her. The man was not anything like Vijay. She had always admired Vijay in his police uniform. He had a mocking glance whereas Vijay always had a compassionate glance. She could feel his eyes traveling down her body making her to hold Mazhilini's hand tightly.